Route 66 V2 review by Visual Sound

Visual Sound: Route 66 V2

Purchased from: ebay

I mainly use this pedal for clean tones, so it's going through my Crate V18 with a few different model Ibanez guitars. This pedal, like most compressors and sustainers, is rather noisy. It will amplify any sound, buzz, etc. That is coming though your guitar or signal path. I have mine at the front of my signal chain, right after my tuner to cut down on as much noise as possible. I also use an ISP Decimator to cut down the noise. I play rock and metal, but like I said, I use this pedal mainly for clean sounds. Doesn't sound terrible with distortion (I use a metal muff), but without a noise reducer it's going to be obnoxious.

I play mainly rock and metal, and this pedal works great for that little something extra on clean passages/riffs. I've been playing guitar for a few years now and this is my first compressor pedal. I tried out the Dyna Comp and the Super Comp by MXR before I bought this pedal as they were all under $100. The Route 66 seemed to fit me better. My favorite feature is the tone bypass switch. It allows the pedal to be more versatile. Overall great pedal and I would definitely buy another one if something happened to mine.

This pedal is built very strong, and seems like it can take a beating. Most Visual Sound stomp boxes are build incredibly strong and this one is no exception. I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup, especially since compression isn't a necessity for my clean tone. The knobs and pots all seem strong, as does the toggle and bypass Switch.

The Visual Sound Route 66 V2 is a very easy pedal to use, even if you've never used a compressor before. Mine didn't come with a manual, but I did buy it used. The pedal is set up to be very easy to use and understand. It has 3 knobs: comp, tone and gain. As well as a toggle Switch that bypasses the tone knob. Compressed sounds are easily obtained with the Route 66, but you can also get some decent clean boost out of it as well.