Route 66 V2 Review

6,324
reviews (2) pictures (1) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Route 66 V2 Reviewed by: eyebanez333, on march 12, 2009

Purchased from: ebay

Ease of Use: The Visual Sound Route 66 V2 is a very easy pedal to use, even if you've never used a compressor before. Mine didn't come with a manual, but I did buy it used. The pedal is set up to be very easy to use and understand. It has 3 knobs: comp, tone and gain. As well as a toggle Switch that bypasses the tone knob. Compressed sounds are easily obtained with the Route 66, but you can also get some decent clean boost out of it as well. // 10

Sound: I mainly use this pedal for clean tones, so it's going through my Crate V18 with a few different model Ibanez guitars. This pedal, like most compressors and sustainers, is rather noisy. It will amplify any sound, buzz, etc. That is coming though your guitar or signal path. I have mine at the front of my signal chain, right after my tuner to cut down on as much noise as possible. I also use an ISP Decimator to cut down the noise. I play rock and metal, but like I said, I use this pedal mainly for clean sounds. Doesn't sound terrible with distortion (I use a metal muff), but without a noise reducer it's going to be obnoxious. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is built very strong, and seems like it can take a beating. Most Visual Sound stomp boxes are build incredibly strong and this one is no exception. I would definitely use it on a gig without a backup, especially since compression isn't a necessity for my clean tone. The knobs and pots all seem strong, as does the toggle and bypass Switch. // 10

Overall Impression: I play mainly rock and metal, and this pedal works great for that little something extra on clean passages/riffs. I've been playing guitar for a few years now and this is my first compressor pedal. I tried out the Dyna Comp and the Super Comp by MXR before I bought this pedal as they were all under $100. The Route 66 seemed to fit me better. My favorite feature is the tone bypass switch. It allows the pedal to be more versatile. Overall great pedal and I would definitely buy another one if something happened to mine. // 10

Route 66 V2 Reviewed by: unregistered, on june 21, 2011

Price paid: € 165

Ease of Use: Its pretty easy to use. You have 2 channels one fot compression and one for Overdrive wich is a TS808 clon with additional bass switch. It all speaks for itselff, you have tone control, drive, and compression and ofcource levelcontrol on both channels. But it is hard to mix in a good usable sound. // 6

Sound: This pedal is really noisy. But I mean really noisy. Ecspaccialy the compression part. Never had any pedal wich is this noisy. There's just too much hiss I unfortunatly just can't cope with. That's to bad because I really like the idea of this pedal. The Overdrive channel is quite good and doesn't hiss that much. But you do not buy this only for the Overdrive channel of course. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's build like a tank. But I wouldn't gig with this because of the noise it makes. My compression should always be on and there's just to much hiss. // 7

Overall Impression: I play mainly blues rock and folk music. I, ve been playing for 15 years and I've had a lot of pedals and the majority I sold. I play a telecaster through a Vox AC15. It sounds strange but I love my Boss ME-5. I've this one since I've started playing. If anyone wanted to steal thi pedal from me they had to be really quick because I returned the Route 66 after just two daysof playing and I bought the double trouble from Visual Sound because I did like the TS808 part of this pedal. Love this pedal btw, it also has a noise reduction option wich I, luckily do not have to use with this pedal. For the compression I bought a DigiTech main squeeze because I ran out of money, but this one is alright. // 1

Comments