Micro Vibe review by Voodoo Lab

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Voodoo Lab: Micro Vibe

Purchased from: ebay

It has only 2 knobs level & speed, but you can expect the tone darkening, which for some reasons could be a deal breaker. Frankly rotating speaker effects can do this, unless you want to spend thousands & hire 2 guys to haul the thing around! It does rotate faster then any rotary speaker effect pedal I have ever heard. I do wish it was more transparent as a Leslie, but not the case... I still love the pedal as it is so compact & no expression pedal to haul around. There is no USB ports & such but such a very narrow use, specific one trick pony it couldn't be easier!

First this effect has a very specific purpose & sound. All these years the rotating speaker effect that has been recorded in rock music was done with many different devices... from Hendrix, Gilmour, Trower, SRV, the huge, heavy, expensive Leslie speaker ruled over all. One of the first pedals was the Univibe stomp with speed pedal. Besides gigging, I enjoy all the greats that have used this effect & love the micro vibe. It does darken the sound, with slight volume boost but typical gigging not typically used so much. Strats, 53 Fender Esquire my Dad bought new, '87 PRS > Fuchs OD30, Kendrick Gig Rig the Micro sounds great.

It appears to be built well & has been dependable for a ton of woodshedding in the bedroom. I can't speak to heavy use but it seems as good & better than many pedals I have. I love EH Electro-Harmonix gear especially Deluxe Memory Boy, but my small clone seems to be stamped steel... Not one solid chunk... ala TS-9. I owned a Sparkle Drive and it held up fine with a lot of gigs under it's belt! I assume this one will hold up just as well... so far so good! I place it before delay, but one should experiment & see what works on your board, with your effects.

All these years the rotating speaker effect that has been recorded in rock music was done with many different devices... From full blown expensive, and very heavy Leslie rotating speakers ala' Hendrix, SRV, Trower, to smaller rack mount devices, and pedals, especially the Univibe. I owned a reissue Univibe complete with expression pedal & bought the micro vibe as well. Several guitar buddies that know tone were amazed that the micro sounded deeper, & much faster. Given the micro vibe being better than about 3 others I have tried, small, & minimal use I'm very impressed especially at this price!