Superfuzz review by Voodoo Lab

Voodoo Lab: Superfuzz

I used my Gibson SG Classic with a Fender FM-100 head through a Marshall cab. The pedal isn't noisy at all on any settings, it's a rather polite fuzz pedal. No matter what setting it's on the fuzz always sounds pretty good and gives a more classic vibe than I'd want. If you want a good classic rock fuzz, this is your pedal, but if you're like me and want an out of control, destroy your tone fuzz, this isn't for you. Sure you can get some modern sounds for metal or to get that Nevermind sound, but you couldn't achieve a Jack White type of fuzz with this pedal. Despite the pedals inability to fit my style it's still a great pedal and sounds great on any setting.

My band plays a medley of alternative-grunge-punk-sometimes noise rock and this pedal isn't a very good match. Especially since it costs $130 new, you'd be better off saving your money by buying a Big Muff or buying a boutique fuzz (Devi Ever, Death By Audio, etc.) I've been playing for 2 and a half years and I've owned plenty of fuzz pedals including a Big muff, and personally I'd rather be playing a big Muff than this but that's because I play a certain style of music. I love the pedals tone and classic vibe, but I hate that it can't go over the top and viciously destroy my guitar. If it were lost or stolen I wouldn't replace it, but I'd suggest the pedal to people who are looking for a nice fuzz pedal that doesn't go over the edge.

The enclosure is pretty sturdy and the knobs are screwed on so I doubt this sucker would fall apart or break unless you threw it against the wall five or ten times. Looking at the pedal everything looked pretty tight and secure, even the design looks like it wouldn't wear off from moderate use. If I took it on stage I wouldn't need a backup.

The Superfuzz has four knobs volume, resonance, tone, and attack (essentially a "fuzz" or "gain" control). I didn't receive a manual with it but it's pretty easy to figure out by yourself. The only tedious thing is unscrewing the back plate if you want to replace the battery. Other than that the Superfuzz makes it easy to find the sound you want.