Superfuzz review by Voodoo Lab

Voodoo Lab: Superfuzz

Purchased from: Local dealer, fresh

I use this fella in front of the 5150's clean channel with gain at 4, with a Schecter C-1 Exotic equipped with SH6-SH2N pickups, into an Engl 2x12 V30 cab. I usually run the amp almost mid-scooped with slightly less treble and more presence for the bite, and the pedal is kinda like Level maxed, Resonance maxed, Tone very minimal or @9 o'clock at most, and Attack varying around 9 o'clock - 11 o'clock depending on how much gain I need, and I personally like to blend the gain with the amp's low gain settings. When coil tapped, it really suits the late 60's/early 70's Vintage fuzzy acid/psychedelic rock tones ala Cream, Hendrix, Iron Butterfly and many more. And if I ain't wrong, this pedal is kind of an improved replica of Jordan Electronics Bosstone from the sixties. When used on higher gain and more extreme settings, it easily gets into Black Sabbath/Witchfinder General/Pentagram-esque 70's/80's heavy/stoner/doom territory, hell I suppose it could nail the Kyuss' "Blues For The Red Sun" when run into a non master volume tube amp and a bass cabinet. I use it as my main fuzz pedal, for not-that-extreme stoner rock tones, and I love just how it suits the genre.

For Vintage fuzzy tones, this could be considered one of the ultimate fuzz pedals, and also suits Vintage stoner/doom tones easily. Definitely not a pedal for sludge metal though, you need something more filthy, gainy and extreme for that purpose. I'd been playing for around 3 years, and I own a 5150, an Engl 2x12 V30 cab and a bunch of pedals, and this guy gets along pretty well, regardless of how "modern metal" my gear screams out. I'd probably buy another one, or get something very similar if it would be stolen or lost. The feature that I love the most is how boomy it can get with the use of the Resonance knob, for which I've seen many fuzz pedals fail when trying to achieve this, and it never loses clarity since it does not sound extremely farty, in comparison to the Big Muff or the Boss Fz-2. I especially love how creamy it sounds when I switch to the neck pickup coil-tapped, it screams out 60's psychedelic rock at that situation. If you're in the market for some boutique but not extremely expensive fuzz pedal, I'd definitely recommend this little fella.

It seems a bit sturdy, and the build quality seems great, but it's kinda lightweight and not sure if the casing is durable to workhorse purposes, but I would be looking after it like it's my own kid, so I doubt there would be a need for a backup. The circuit board seems very clean and nice too, not that I'm an experienced tech/electronics engineer, just wanted to say that it's pretty clean and clear.

I was searching for some fuzz pedal that would suit both my mellow fuzzy stoner rock, Sabbath-esque tones and Hendrix/Cream like fuzzy single coil tones, and this was the pedal that I liked the most. I barely even read the manual, started dialing in tones right away when I've put it in front of the amp. This baby has four knobs; "Level - Resonance - Tone - Attack". The "Attack" knob is basically Drive/Gain, and controls the amount of fuzz given out by the pedal. The "Resonance" knob controls basically the lows and low mids, how dense and boomy they are, with Level being the pedal output, and Tone being the mid hump similar to an Overdrive pedal, but it's pretty scooped when it's at zero. It's pretty easy, you definitely get the hang of it after fiddling around for a few minutes. And it ain't noisy at all, at moderate gain settings I don't even use my ISP Decimator Noise Suppression.