Amplug Classic Rock review by Vox

Vox: Amplug Classic Rock

Price paid: € 45

Purchased from: Lismusica, Portugal

As I said, the sound is pretty cool. Crunchy, identical to a Vox classic rock distortion in the best way possible. There are only three sound settings: volume, tone and drive. Just enough for what this product stands for. There are also three other models from Vox Amplug being one named 'Metal' and the other called 'AC30'. The sound suits perfectly any classic rock song just like AC/DC, Zeppelin. If you set the Drive to upper levels you'll be getting some kind of a fuzzy sound which would suit to Cream stuff, I'm using a Gibson Les Paul Std., an SG 61' reissue and a Fender Strat and I may say that by far I prefer pairing any of the Gibsons with it. Setting the Drive to low levels gives you a great lightly-crunch tone to play along with any suitable track. I just love the sound and use it a lot for practicing and also for recording in Garageband which sounds perfect in my opinion, adding a little reverb from the software.

Well I mainly play blues, rockabilly and classic rock and in my experience for these styles, I found this unit very powerful, being an excellent match for those genres. I've been playing for 6 years, own a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and a Roland Cube 30 and this little thing, running through garageband or other music software will certainly surprise you very much I guess. When I tried it by connecting the phone directly to it as it is supposed, I was immediately amazed. Seeing it's price, I had no other choice but to take it and it was definitely a great choice. I stolen/lost/broken, I would but another one and possibly would also try the Metal model to see what does it sound like. It would be asking too much but if it had a reverb in addition to the other three controls, it would be perfect but probably physically impossible. In conclusion, I've been recording songs with it for a while and it has been a great tool, giving a raw, pure distorted sound, unpretentious - Just pure classic rock.

Well This is not the best musicians tool to gig but if someone thinks out of the box and experiments it through a regular amp as an effects unit or pre-amp, they would probably get a cool sound though it would be going far from this products' purpose. It very well built in my opinion but it's still a little fragile so sometimes an extra care, avoiding dropping it, would be a good practice. Overall, for the money you pay and for the quality of the products it's a great purchase and it will last a long while as it's made in Japan if you take a little care.

This portable unit is very user-friendly, practical: plug it in your electric guitar and one can play it anywhere through the phones output, enjoying the sound of a Vox amplifier. There are no speakers just because the unit is incredibly small and portable so one will have to keep up with some headphones and it ready to rock! Additionally it has an Aux input so that an iPod may be connected, allowing you to play along. Pretty simple and extremely easy to get a great sound from it.

Grungic
    khujo1023 wrote: I have the AC one and I really like it.
    Gotta try it! =D Really like these..probably i overrated them a little but for the price you pay think it's a really cool thing
    fenderarmy
    I got the lead one for Christmas, it sounded really nice through my roommate's Dinky, but it doesn't fit in my Ibanez, so I rarely use it. The S series Ibanez' have this weird input that just won't let you plug it in. That saddens me.
    Seref
    Nick184 wrote: 10 10 9 10 .... ok
    TheDissident
    Seref wrote: Nick184 wrote: 10 10 9 10 .... ok You have to remember that this isn't being reviewed as a normal amp, to the straight-10s-Spider effect doesn't really apply. It's getting 10s as a dedicated headphones out unit, which I'll vouch for--these little things are great for night time practice/car trips/anywhere you can't amp up or be loud.
    quoted for truth, for what they are I think the rating is deserved completely
    seemeel
    Seref wrote: I'll vouch for--these little things are great for night time practice/car trips/anywhere you can't amp up or be loud.
    You're doing better than me if you can reasonably play guitar while in a car!
    Warhog
    I got the Metal-version and love it... Of course it is nothing compared to any "real" amp but that's not the point with these. Cheap and easy to use anywhere.
    magic medicine
    I didn't like any of the amplugs too much. If you want to play with headphones just buy a Line6 POD.
    bazza92
    I have the classic rock and acoustic amplugs plus an amplug cabinet (0.7 amplifier) and i LOVE them all, great sound and a great price!
    Budzian
    Yesterday for myself I bought this gadget and very much I am satisfied.