Big Bad Wah review by Vox

Vox: Big Bad Wah

Purchased from: Dolphin Music

I use this pedal with a VHT Pitbull 45 (an EL84 powered combo) and a PRS Swamp Ash Special. I have also used it with a Vox AD30VT. I've found that it sounds good with almost any amp. At full Drive levels, there can sometimes be a little background noise, but so little you hardly notice it while playing. The main reason I chose this Wah was for versatility, and it fulfills that perfectly! At the flick of a few switches or the twist of the Drive knob, I can go from Eric Clapton in cream, to Jimi Hendrix, and all the way to Kirk Hammett's aggressive solo Wah tones in Metallica and Mark Tremonti's signature growl. Of course there are also some very usuable Joe Satriani Wah tones on here, this being his signature pedal. I find that even the OD boost on this pedal sounds great! If I could, I'd use it as an OD boost without the Wah function, its very transparent and quite Vintage sounding. The other thing I like about it is that the controls actually alter the sound, and not only that but every setting is easily usable! Its no use having a million knobs and buttons if half of them don't seem to affect your tone at all and the other half switches between two totally unusable tones, but I've found that almost every combination of inductors and settings can be applied in a song situation.

I play a massive range of styles, from funk to blues to rock to metal, and have been playing 6 years. I own a PRS Swamp Ash Special and a VHT Pitbull 45. If this pedal were stolen or lost, I'd buy another one without hesitation. Its easily the most versatile Wah pedal I've ever come across, and although it certainly wasn't cheap, it was worth it! My favourite feature has to be the dual inductor system. At the press of a button this truly transforms the Wah into something more aggressive and modern, and just as quickly back to that Vintage Vox Wah tone again! My only 'pet hate' with this amp is that it requires quite a lot of force to Switch it on/off. This can make playing it sitting down, or without shoes on, a bit of a problem sometimes.

This Wah is built really solidly out of metal, and I'd have no problem gigging it without a backup (in fact, I will be in the next few weeks) but a word of warning; this pedal wears out batteries extremely fast, and I would never gig with it without a proper 9V power supply as well as a battery in case anything went wrong.

Most Wah pedals don't have more than maybe one knob or button, but the main reason I chose it was its versatility. I've found from a settings point of view there is very little that will make this Wah pedal sound bad (other than the player) but the multitude of options may confuse some.

ibanezgod1973
    i`ve done a vid to demo the BBW and the other vox satriani pedals, so you can get a better idea of the pedals