Bulldog Distortion review by Vox

Vox: Bulldog Distortion

I bought Bulldog because I got really pissed off with the Overdrive simulations in my Boss GT-8. It wasn't a problem while I had a good tube amp at reach, but now I wanted to have good sound at home too, and I gave up the idea to fit a guitar combo in my tiny flat. So now I usually connect Bulldog in the effects loop of GT-8 which runs through my home studio monitors. And this sound good, I tell you. Almost anything from blues to Ajattara style black/death. Maybe it lacks just a little tiny bit of gain, but this problem is easy eliminated if I boost the send level of the fx loop. One thing you have to keep in mind is that single EQ for both channels (bloody bad idea Vox). When you use second gai channel it sometimes asks for a bit more high tones, and then you switch back to gain 1 and get too much of it! But overall this is a very good and versatyle tube Overdrive for the price. It is also surprisingly guiet! The only time I got noise on it was when using a power adapter. But I guess it was the fault of the cheap adapter, not the pedal. I've heard some people complaining that this pedal has too much highs crap. It has nothing that couldn't be cured with a careful setting of the eq.

I mostly play hard rock and metal and ths pedal does it pretty well for the price. Don't hope that you will get that legendary Boogie sound, not for 170 euros, you won't. But you will get close to it, and you will get a stompbox that is easy and intuitive to use, quiet and great sounding. In the shop I also tried aout Electroharmonix BigMuff, Rocktron Silver Dragon and several other tube and transistor pedals at the same price range, but Vox Bulldog proved to be the most versatyle and most fitting my needs.

The pedal looks quite tough. But there is one but. That silly open grille over the tube. It will eventually become a dust magnet and also could cause trouble on stage with crazy audience. Ok, the glowing tube looks cool, but I go for the sound and durability, not the looks

The pedal is really easy to understand, you don't have to be a rocket scientist to figure out what "gain" or "voice" means. And thank heavens for that, cause the manual is a joke. A really bad joke. Although it sounds great and seem to be easy adjustable at a first glance, you will soon find yourself spending more time turning those knobs by a tiny bit, just to see if it can sound any better. What I realy miss about this pedal is separate eq for each gain channel.

TempleOfMonkeys
    I tried one of these in the store and the tone sucked arse. It wasn't warm, creamy or sweet like you'd expect it to be even though it has the 12AU7 tube inside. A wide range of average solid state distortion pedals sound better than this.