Bulldog Distortion review by Vox

Vox: Bulldog Distortion

Purchased from: Local Store

I play with a Squier Strat and a Freeman 15 watt amp, I buy it because the amp distortion wasn't something could make me feel happy. It's a very good pedal if you are the only guitar in your band, you got what you need to crunch and for soloing. It produces a lot of feedback when you got the gain knobs at maximum (like I do), but it is because my pickups are single coils basically. It's very loud when you turn up the volume knobs, my settings are Channel 1: gain (max), volume (12 o'clock), bass (max), treble (2 o'clock). Channel 2: gain (max), volume (1 o'clock). This doesn't give you a exactly Jimmy Page or Van Halen tone but it works very good to play their music and to find your kind of tone.

I play music like Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Van Halen; Guns N' Roses and this is a really good match for classic rock. I got it since 2 months and love it. I compared it to a Boss DS-1, a Boss DS-2, a Boss MT-2, a Boss SD-1, a Marshall Jackhammer and I choose this because I find my tone with this pedal. I love it, the first channel it's perfect por rythms and the second channel has a middle boost for soloing so it has every thing you can need in a distortion pedal. If it were lost, I would buy another one.

I played in gigs with it and this pedal didn't dissapointed me. I only got backup batteries because the bulldog it them fast, when I can get a power suply to this, all will be OK. It is bulit in a metal jail, I take care of it like my Holy Grail, but I think that the only way you can break it is if you let it fall from your roof.

Well, I bought it in a local store in my city (I'm chilean), I'm playing since 1 year and this is my first distortion pedal. It has to channels, the first for rythms and the second for leads. For the channel 1 it has a gain knob, a volume knob, a bass knob and a treble knob, the channel 2 has his gain knob, his volume knob and a "voice" knob that acts like an extra tone knob. it isn't hard to get your sound when you know how to use pedals. I think that one problem is that I use it with 4 AA batteries and the pedal it them in less that one week if you use it constantly, so later I would buy a power suply to this dog. The manual only shows what you got to know to take care of the pedal, you got to find your own sound with this.

hrubydub
    I have a Vox Bulldog Guitar, made jy Jennings Music Corp Kent England. I have been unsuccessful in getting info on this guitar. it was bought in 1968
    hrubydub
    If you have infor on the Vox bulldog Guitar please e-mail me at herb@star-ed.com