Classic Wah Wah V845 review by Vox

Vox: Classic Wah Wah V845

Purchased from: Dawsons Music

I've used the Wah through various amp such as my Roland Cube 15X and my Peavey Rage 158, and its been used in a Randal half stack aswell ( it sounds great through the halfstack)i use an Ibanex GRG170DX. I usualy use this pedal with my pedal board which doesn't realy make it sound any different. The pedals overal sound is fairly decent but a bit dull for my liking it falls down when you tilt it right back so it emphasises the lowers strings sound but then makes the higher strings sound dull but when titled forward the sound is fine, another downside is when you use on very high distortion it sounds worse, so when I use high distortions I use the Boss ME-25s built in wah because that doesn't sound nearly as bad when on high distortion. The last criticism I have is when on clean it distorts the clean sound when in use a little but not overly unbearable. I would give this a 6 but I feel thats too low, because apart from its flaws it has good point such as the bypass is very good and the fact its sound reminds me vaguely of Jimi hendrix's Wah sound.

I play everything from Punk such as Ramones, Green Day the sex pistols to stuff such as Poison (talk dirty to me anyone? ) along with alot of rock and metal but in my band their tastes aren't as heavy as mine so we play alot of soft and pop rock such as Kings of Leon and Pink, I've been playing for over 2 years now and I also own a Boss ME -25 and a pedal board both of which I've already mention (I prefer the Bosses sound to my pedal board). I wish it has a dial to vary the sweep of the pedal and that it could handle high gains but it is a classic Wah as the name points out so I understand why it can't handle high gains and probably doesn't have a dial because its meant to replicate (I think) one of the first Wah whas made so I'm guessing the first Wah didn't have a variation dial. It doesn't need a manual unless your a new player and have never used pedals but it says instrument and amplifier on the rubber top of the pedal to indicate which in the input and output socket. Lastly if it were stolen I would attack the person who did steal it and I'd buy either this Wah again or save for a better one as this is overal just a Decent pedal for my tastes. I'd give it a 7.5.

At the moment I use it at home but have used it with bands in rehearsals and it fairs very well, its metal chassis mean you can kick it about ( not the I recommend doing that)and not worry about it breaking unless you threw it at a wall, although I'd put a 9V battery in even when using the power supply incase you pull out the power supply with your foot which I've done and its anoying to have to stop playing to reconnect a cable. If I were to gig I would use this and my pedal board as back up while I used my Boss ME-25 as my main rig as its easier to use and has more better quality sounds than my average sounding Behringer pedals. Its never stopped working for any reason but I feel the foot piece be broken easily with alot of abuse but I haven't trested that out so I can't realy say it will its just an asumption I've made from how it feels when using it.

To get the pedal working you simple, as with most effects pedals put in a 9V battery which you fit by removing the 4 rubber feet at the bottom, no need for a screwdriver on mine as the screws aren't screwed in so tight so I can just turn the rubber feet and they will unscrew the screws. Or you can use a 9V power supply (which as with all pedals I would recommend as the pedal seems to have a stronger effect when used with a power supply.) Its very easy to use just just tilt moving part of the pedal up and down to get a sound out of it and press down fairly hard to put it on to bypass mode and the same to turn it back on. The pedal only has 1 sound there are no dials to change the range of the sweep of the Wah which is a bit of a downer but not so bad its got a decent set sound with it.