Classic Wah Wah V845 review by Vox

• Reviewer's score: 4.3 Poor
Vox: Classic Wah Wah V845

Purchased from: Tom Lee, Hong Kong

As I have said, I'm a complete novice, but I've always wanted an electric guitar. At the same time I bought this pedal, I also bought an Ibanez AS 73 1V and a Fender Super Champ XD amp. The guitar sounds great through the amp, but it took me days to figure out which settings get the best results and the amp continuously emits a "sssshhhhhhhh", but I think that may be something I'm doing wrong and I'll hopefully figure it out. But the "ssssssshhhhhhhhh" is completely intrusive when the pedal is connected. The "wah" effect is nice, but I find it very limited. OK, so it goes wah, a bit - er, is that it? I'm afraid that is it. A little Wah and I kind of find myself asking, "well, what now?" At the bottom, the sound is dull and the top strings all but inaudible, so to get the effect over all 6 strings, I just leave the bloody thing pushed flat and then occassionally dip it a little.

I don't have a style, because I can't really play. I download the chords from my favourite bands and try to play the songs. Neil Young, Floyd, Roger Waters, Elbow, Eels, The Stones, Black Rebel M C, The Clash - I love loads of different stuff, like everyone, I suppose. If it were lost, stolen or broken, I wouldn't get another. I had to choose this because the pedal I wanted was out of stock (Dunlop Cry Baby) and I took this on the sellers advice. I might even break it myself.

It seems very sturdy, to me, almost industrial. I'm just a novice, so it will only sit in the small room I have, just for my music, so I'm not going to be dragging it around gigs etc. But it does seem very strong. I can't comment on reliability, cos I've just bought it.

Well, once it is set up, it's just a pedal, so how hard can it be? But I found it very frustrating. As a complete novice to all this, I'm maybe a bit of a dunce, but I thought having to fetch a screwdriver then go about dismantling the bleedin thing, was ridiculous. Anyway, I stuck a battery in it and screwed it back together, but then (AAAAAAGGGGGGHHHHHH) it didn't come with the cable. The box only had the pedal in it. No battery and no cable. So it was not a promising start. Also, to switch the thing off or on, I have to almost stand up to enable me to exert sufficient pressure (and I aint light).