DelayLab review by Vox

• Reviewer's score: 6.5 Neat
Vox: DelayLab

The layout of the pedal is really straight forward to me, no endless menus, the ability to fine tune the time down to the millisecond. Sometimes the knobs do different things then that are labeled so it can get a little bit annoying sometimes but it's not smash your head into a wall frustrating. There was a manual but I lost it on the first day, you can go online and get one if you don't have one but you don't really need it. I don't know if there were any firmware updates on mine or not all I really know is that it works. Here are a few things that I wish it could do the ability to add or change the modulation type to some of the delays because some of them seem a little dry. The looper is a little problematic that it sometimes does not delete the loops when I make them and there isn't a indicator to show how much time you have left but I can't think of a looper that does that anyway.

I got this thing because I wanted something that I can use as tap tempo delay and it was relatively cheap and it does that and much more. Interestingly enough I never use it as a simple delay. I am using it with a Gibson LP an Ampeg V50h and a buttload of other pedals. Is it noisy, depenends on what your using to power the thing to be honest, a one-spot it can get a little noisy. (cant daisy chain it btw) and if I power it by batteries (it takes 6 AA batteries) its much quieter, so I guess the better your power supply the less noise it is going to make. I do notice a little bit of gating and tone suck when this is in the chain so I just add a bit more volume from my fuzz/dist/od to compensate.

I don't see this pedal having any major problems in the near future. The biggest issue I experience is how there is no indicator of when your battery is going to die, so I always have a spare 6 batteries ready to go. They do last about 5 hours because I am using freebies from a hardware store chain when I have the coupons so maybe Duracell's or something better. So with a set of dollar store batteries it should last 5 hours give or take. The switches and jacks seem solid no real complaints here. I am giving it a 5 because I only had it 6 months.

Let's see I play various types of metal and psychedelic rock so to me its a pretty good match. I am pretty impressed at some of the things this pedal can do. It has eliminated my desire to buy a eq'd Rainbow Machine because I can get that type of sound from it and it does a pretty convincing Echorec and other old tape delays so its actually pretty fun. Although there are a few settings that are useless like the phazer delay and other modes so I say like 12 out of the 30 modes are actually good the rest on the other hand not so much. The looper is ok but the fact I can't turn off the delay while using it is a bit annoying. Lastly if you use a mode that can oscillate you can use the fine tune mode and actually control the pitch if you adjust the time knob.

raccooninajar
    I've been goofing with this thing for almost a year straight now, and I still barely understand how it works. it's amazing.