Over The Top Boost review by Vox

Vox: Over The Top Boost

Purchased from: Local music store

Well I'm from india... So I don't think my setup will help much. The guitar is a custom guitar I got built from a guy in Bangalore. The Pickups are active and he designed the circuit himself. It gives me a warm les paul kinda tone. From the humbuckers and a compressed strat tone from the single coil. I run it through a Stranger NS 30 AMP made in calcutta they'r cheap and most people here think they suck but its a pretty awesome amp for the price. Solid state ofcourse. You could compare it to a 40W Laney or something. The pedal introduces almost no noise at all and despite the small tube it gives me that beautiful Vox chime that I've been looking for. I mostly use it to but some sheen on my clean tone and make the guitar a little twangy so I almost never turn the gain up over 1/4... But you can get some nice gritty sounding distortion with the gain all the way up... It starts sounding muddy if you pump the gain up too much but some people like that sound... Not great if you want to sound heave... But perfect for an alternative or Vintage tone!

I play alternative / experimental / and some blues. It does a great job in adding a nice bright tone for rhythm and sounds awesome on solos but if u'r going for a high gain sound even for hard rock this isn't the pedal for you... You can use it after a distortion pedal though to add a nice rich tube character to your sound! Been playing for 4 and a half years also own a Boss-ds2, super chorus, dd3, that's about it... This is the primary pedal that gives me my tone so yeah I'd definitely buy one more if I lost it.

Very dependable.. Built with a Solid Metal casing... Looks real shiny and nice too... wouldn't bother gigging without a backup.

Pretty easy to use no manual required. Volume knob, Gain knob, Bass and treble eq, it has a nice high roll off knob and an eq switch that switches between the standard and the custom mode which I find very effective in getting the right tone. When in standard mode the bass and treble eq get adjusted relative to the other but in custom mode they'r both separate controls and don't affect the other in any way. Really easy to dial in the tone you want if this isn't u'r first analog!

SeanX3187
    glad it's not all tens. good review. i'll definitely have to check this pedal out. i like the tone from videos i've seen.
    gunmyle
    The sound might be underrated cause he used an active pickup with a solid state amp.