ToneLab EX review by Vox

Vox: ToneLab EX

Purchased from: Thomann.de

I use my Tonelab with a Gibson Les Paul Studio and a Fender Frontman 212R. The tonelab generally has a great sound, but you need to be able to create them. I didn't personally like the factory settings sounds so I made my own. I tried out the tonelab on my 25 watt Marshall before trying it on my 100 watt Fender because the factory sounds tend to make a lot of noise which made that squeaky feedback sound which is horrible. Editing the noise reduction is really simple though... I personally think that all the effects on the Tonelab are amazing! No effect is really crap. Also the tonelab has some stored effects in it for some famous songs such as, "Voodoo Child", "Always On The Run", "Enter Sandman"... The Vox Tonelab EX uses the new ValveTronix technology by Vox.

This pedal is good for every type of music. I've been playing for 3 years now and this is by far the best pedal I have ever owned. I know lots of people think that multi effects pedals often have really cheesy distortion sounds but this really does sound as if your amp was actually a tube amp. Before this I owned a DigiTech RP-150 which was the biggest waste of money ever. I recommend this to anybody who can't afford or isn't bothered to carry around millions of single effect pedals.

This is a very reliable multi-effects pedal, but I recommend using it only on amps you have tried using it with already. I have used this at 6 gigs already and it was great every time!

The Vox Tonelab EX is not very easy to use at first and to be able to use it properly you HAVE to read the manual first. When I received my Tonelab EX it came with a german manual, which is ok for me because I understand german but if you don't then it is quite a problem... I think it is possible to get an english manual somewhere on the internet. The Tonelab would be much easier to use if it had a few switches, but unfortunately it dosen't.