ToneLab LE review by Vox

Vox: ToneLab LE

Purchased from: Second Hand.

The Ease of use on the ToneLab LE is really no biggy. You'll be able to operate the unit, even without reading the manual. I really think that's a nice feature, because most of the more modern Multieffects almost requires that you've read the manual. Just plug it in and start playing sounds! Also, you can go online and share your patches and sounds with all the other ToneLab LE users around the world! That's great if you're looking for some different sounds, than just your own. If you haven't tried one out, go try one out next time you have the imagination. It'll be great fun!

There is no doubt that Vox really did a good job on designing and creating this ToneLab LE. Crafting some nice and sparkly sounds is fairly easy and not that complex - which is a real delight! I've been using the unit in different ways. First off I just plugged it directly in to the front of my amplifier. Created some patches and liked the sounds, overall. Though, I must say that some of the OD sounds from the PEDAL selection is really weak and not that great sounding. Also I find that there're only few options to tweak the parameters. The second way I've used this unit is by running it through the Effects Loop of my amplifier. Now that gave some really good results! By running it through the Effects Loop I can use the built-in amplifier and cabinet simulations. A few tweaks and dialing; and you have a great sounding patch.

Overall, the amplifier and cabinet sims sound and work very well, I must say. The Tube that is featured in the ToneLab LE is really a nice and characteristic sounding/adding piece of technology! This unit is great for rock, blues, pop, jazz and much more. The ToneLab LE is probably not the best unit for creating metal sounds, but you can of course add your own metal pedal, via the Insert function.

The ToneLab LE is well built and will be able to take a couple of scratches, without being damaged. It'll do anything you put it through; playing live, rehearsal with your band and for crafting tones in your living room. The switches and the rest of the electronics seems to be well sturdy and solid made. I highly doubt that it will break or fail on you. One thing that'll maybe cause some problems could be the power supply. It's quite heavy and big - not really what you want. A smaller would have been better, but maybe there's some alternatives. Turn it up and just blast away - only your imagination sets the limitations!

Overall, I'm really happy with this unit. Sounds great, easy to operate and will be easy to hook up during gigs. A couple of things I think could have been better is the sounds of the OD section; they're really weak. Also, the volume/EXP pedal can not be tightened, and therefore it'll be impossible to keep it in one specific place. You almost have to place your foot on it the whole time, to secure that I doesn't move. Other than that, great unit, will be able to do a lot, and the control feature is great! Especially if you use the buit-in amplifiers and cabinets and want to drive those a little harder by bringing in the OD section.