ToneLab ST review by Vox

Vox: ToneLab ST

Price paid: A$ 300

Purchased from: Allans Music

Using it with a Fender american standard strat through a Marshall MG50DFX: playing any sound through the clean channel sounds great. My first tip is to find on the net what each amp and cab actually models, then dialling in tones is much easier. Effects are pretty comprehensive, though you cannot get a nice lead tone by pumping gain and sticking an overdrive, distortion or copmression pedal after. My advice is either low amp gain (on the tonelab of course) and then a moderate pedal setting. Modulation wise its excellent, with a wide range of effects. Expression pedal works well with Wah and volume, though it can be used in conjunction with many more parameters (haven't used this much).

I play lots of styles (excluding metal) and I find I can nail any tone from andy timmons' electric gypsy, to bohemian rhapsody's solo, to the sparkling clean chorus intro to paradise city. Definitely worth the money and really adds a dimension to a prexisting plain solid state amp. Very responsive to playing dynamics and the guitars volume and tone controls.

Had it for a while now and the only reason I would ditch this is when I build up a proper pedal board. Otherwise it's a keeper. I'd be pretty confident taking this to a gig and playing a set without any dramas. The metal casing seems fairly rugged and I'm sure it could take a few drops and hits.

Comes with decent presets, though starting from scratch (amp, cab etc) you can get very nice sounds. Pretty user friendly though the expression pedal assigning takes a few turns to get the knack of it. In terms of scrolling through presets, this can be annoying when trying to store new sounds and keep all (say) clean in one location, however with the aid of the sound librarian software its simple and fast.