V-850 Volume Review

manufacturer: Vox date: 08/01/2011 category: Guitar Effects
Vox: V-850 Volume
This sturdy, 250K audio taper, passive volume pedal works just swell! It can sit between your guitar and your amplifier or can be plugged into the Volume jack of the Valvetronix VC-4 Foot Controller - adding even more flexibility to an already impressive set-up.
 Ease of Use: 10
 8.1
 8.8
 7.4
 2,299
reviews (2) pictures (1) 4 comments vote for this gear:
V-850 Volume Reviewed by: Dookie_1988, on october 03, 2005

Ease of Use: This pedal can't really be of any challenge to use, as it's just one big potentiometer. Just add it to your daisy chain, or effects loop and you're done. // 10

Sound: I have left out my personal set-up in this, as I feel it does'nt matter for the 'sound' through this thing. This volume pedal is great for those who don't want a volume pedal that colours the tone of your guitar/amp like the much more expensive Morleys do. There's no tone sucking, and the amp still sounds bright. I use it at the beggining of my daisy chain, which I would recommend for everyone. I've become obsessed with swells now! // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is extreamly reliable, it's a huge lump of heavy metal, enough to kill a flock of Llama with. It's heavy and doesnt slip on stage or anywhere else. I give it a 9, because, when it came, it wouldn't shut the volume off all the way on full tilt back at loud volumes (we're talking a fully cranked 30w valve amp though). But as it's the simpist thing inside, I just re-calibrated the pot, and it was fine. Apart from this there's been no problems, and I've had it 6 months. If something does go wrong, it will no doubt be the easiest thing to fix, even for the worst 'electricians' out there. // 9

Overall Impression: I play a lot of Mark Knopfler stuff, hence I purchased this volume pedal. It does the job so well. I love using this thing to put alot more expression into things as well. Another thing it's great for, is use with a cranked valve amp, I use this pedal, instead of the volume on my guitar to tame the Overdrive on a valve amp, it's cleans it up real nice, then it's just a simple roll forward from the foot to get the more gain for a solo or something. A minimal volume knob would make this pedal more versitile, as I have to have accurate footwork if I'm using it solely as a boost at the moment. As for value, I still feel 60 is a lot for one petentiometer, but oh well. If this was lost/stolen, I would definatly buy it again. // 9

V-850 Volume Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 01, 2011

Ease of Use: It's a volume pedal, you can handle this one even after you have your brain removed and eaten by zombies. For those who've got a living undead nibbling at they're ear, there is a manual that explains how to connect it between your guitar and your amp. There are no extra knobs or anything to "struggle" with either and it's passive so it doesn't require any power supply. // 10

Sound: I used this pedal on a bass. First thing I noticed when I plugged it between my bass and my amp was that it kills some of the high tones. Second thing is that it doesn't cut the sound off completely when you put your heel down which is kind of annoying since that's it's main purpose. // 6

Reliability & Durability: It's got the same housing as the Dunlop wah's so chances are that it will survive a plane crash. These pedals do have a tendency to start squeaking over time, putting some oil on the moving parts should fix the problem right away. It doesn't have a lot of wiring, so in case something goes wrong it should be easy to fix on your own. // 9

Overall Impression: All in all it's not that bad for what you'd pay for one, but if you don't want a pedal that colors your tone, you might want to spend a little more money. I borrowed this one from my band's guitar player but I don't think I'll be missing it if he wants it back. // 7

Comments