Ego Compressor Review

2,864
review (1) pictures (3) 2 comments vote for this gear:
Ego Compressor Reviewed by: backtothe70s, on august 30, 2010

Purchased from: Thesegoto11.se

Ease of Use: Great pedal altough it took a little while for me to get the hang of it since I'm an average user of pedals and Compressor is one of the hardest to understand and make it do what you want. Plus, I didn't care much for the manual...Anyhow! You have 5 knobs - Volume, Attack, Sustain, Blend and one for Tone! Volume is quite obvious yes? Attack lets you set how quickly the Compressor start working. This was confusing to me since CCW seem to give you a faster attack, more compressed and CW gives a more open sound. Blend and sustain works together, but it's the blend knob that really makes this pedal so great. It, just as it sounds, "blends" your clean signal with the compressed signal. This gives you the option to use it as a great clean boost or as the menat compressor. More of the blend gives more compression and then, with the sustain knob I would say you choose how hard or soft the compression will be. The cherry to this pedal is the tone knob that lets you finetune, mostly the upper register/highs to get a clearer sound or a little darker, a quite subtle knob but still very useful when using different guitars. All knobs do what they should, it's just the matter of understanding them. // 7

Sound: Using it with a Fender Vintage 57' RI Strat and a Schecter C1 Classic into a Fender Blues JR. Haven't used many compressors in my time except the one from Boss that I wasn't too impressed with... This Compressor really brings out all that you always wanted your guitar to give! This is mostly noticeble on a clean sound. The bas is "tightened" and you really get a lot more clarity to your sound and you can hear the stringseparation. The clarity can be a little dangerous on higher frets but it's all about fine tuning. Setting it "low" works great with almost anything, be it funk, jazz or blues, while setting it "high" gives you that real distinct country sound with a "pop" to the notes. Awsome! With distortion it isn't as noticable as with a clean sound but you still get more clarity and more defined attack which is great for rythm and fast leadruns. It's real quiet, and sounds simply great in my ears, no matter the guitar! // 10

Reliability & Durability: I've had it for a few months now. Mostly used it at home except for a few ocasions on stage so I can't say to much about it. But it seems really well built and will take some hits before giving up. I Should take a look inside it someday but I'm sure that it's well soldered inside and that it will hold for a long time! // 8

Overall Impression: I've been playing pop, rock, blues, jazz and a small amount of metal just for fun for about 5 years. I've gotten a good ear for tone in this time and this is actually an intoxicating pedal! Once you hit it on you realize how good everything can sound and want to leave it on at all times! The only thing I could wish for, is that the tone knob had a bit more range for even more options in EQ. Other than that it's straight trough great! I don't think I will ever get rid of it since it has this real "WOW" effect when turned on. Something I will try to use mostly onstage so that I won't get addicted and dependent on I to sound good! // 10

Comments