Plextortion review by Wampler Pedals

Wampler Pedals: Plextortion

Purchased from: IRC Music South Indy

I use this through a Fender Twin Reverb '65 Reissue. I mainly play a Jackson DKMG with EMG 81/85s, but also use an '87 Charvel 1A with a Seymour Duncan stacked rail and a Fender Tele with Vintage noiseless pickups. Bottom line here is, this pedal is HOT HOT hot! It truly delivers that Marshall stack tone. It screams when cranked and cleans up surprisingly well with the guitars volume rolled off. If you love playing with your volume knob to tweak tone, you'll love the results you get from this pedal. It's also very responsive to Pick attack. The Vintage/Modern switch basically goes from a "brown" organic sound in Vintage mode to a a more cutting, tighter sound in Modern mode. There's enough gain to easily cover anything from classic rock up to Metallica, Megadeth, etc. Don't expect to get insane modern metal tones from it though. That's just not what it's built for. If you love the sound of an old Marshall stack, this is it.

For the sound I've been looking for, this is perfect. I grew up with 70s and 80s rock and metal. This pedal covers that era beautifully. I think I may have finally found my perfect pedal! It can go from Van Halen (early and later) to AC/DC to Metallica and everything in between!

Appears to be well built. Metal chassis with a good solid feeling stomp switch. I haven't gigged it, so I can't comment on stage durability though. I imagine it would do fine in a pedalboard setup. There's plenty of room between the stomp switch and the knobs, so you shouldn't be stomping the knobs.

The manual gives recommended beginning settings, and instructs where to go from there. I, like most others (most likely), paid no attention to it and started twisting knobs at will. I found great tones right off the bat. This pedal is exploding with awesome plexi tones. The controls are fairly simple. Bass, Mids, Treble, Gain, and Volume with a Vintage/Modern switch.

TheGroundZero
    I somehow forgot to mention the absolute note clarity you get through this pedal. You really do hear what YOUR guitar sounds like.