Bad Dog Distortion Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 12/24/2007 category: Guitar Effects
Washburn: Bad Dog Distortion
Gritty, dirty, raging, wild distortion. A must have pedal. Screaming loud to whisper soft.
 Reliability & Durability: 8.8
 Ease of Use: 8.8
 9.2
 6.7
 1,907
reviews (5) 13 comments vote for this gear:
Bad Dog Distortion Reviewed by: *Nirvana*, on october 19, 2005

Purchased from: Sam Goody

Ease of Use: This is a pretty easy pedal to use it came with no instruction manual but it is pretty self explanitory. You can almost always get a good sound out of it and the two tone knobs really help you get the tone that you want. // 9

Sound: I play a Fender Stratocaster and a Fender Frontman amp with this pedal and it sounds pretty good, I can always get it to go as loud or as soft as I want, the effects never sound weak. I can get good sound for alot of my favorite artists from Black Sabbath to Nirvana. // 9

Reliability & Durability: You can definitely depend on this pedal as long as you remember to keep it unplugged when not in use, and I would use it in a gig even if I didn't have a backup. // 9

Overall Impression: I play alot of Black Sabbath and this is a great match because of the low and high tone knobs I can achieve a very dark sound. I have compared this pedal to an Ibanez distortion and a Boss DS-2 and I prefer it because you can change its tone to fit just about anything you want to play, I definetly recommend it. // 9

Bad Dog Distortion Reviewed by: Spike_S, on january 05, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Goodys

Ease of Use: This pedal is fairly simple to use my friend bought one and told me that it was a good pedal so I had to try it for my self, it is very simple to use, there is no manual for this distortion pedal, who needs one? This pedal allows you to get creative with your amp a good thin crunch when you need it and a calm clean sound when you feel the need for it. // 8

Sound: The Setup I used when I played with this pedal was a: American Fender Stratocaster, with a small Squire amp, the effects sound great just leave the distortion on the amplifier off. I honestly belive the Washburn pedal is a great pedal for people who like to play rock and southern rock, it is also good for Metal too, all effects on this pedal are great and for a good price too. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I honestly believe this is a sturdy built pedal as long as you are not stomping on it as hard as you can it should last you a life time, of course on a gig I would recomend it, of course I'm the type of person to always keep a backup for anything for "just in case" type of situations. // 8

Overall Impression: I play a lot of southern rock and metal and also Guns N' Roses too I have been playing for almost 4 years now and I would recomend this pedal for anyone, begginer or expert. If this pedal where to magically dissapear or get lost or stolen I would buy it again. I love the fact that is has that crunchy distortion on it and at the same time a thick heavy distortion, or a southern rock distortion whatever my desire may be at the moment and time. // 10

Bad Dog Distortion Reviewed by: Tapmaster923, on june 21, 2006

Purchased from: Sam Goody

Ease of Use: This pedal is easy to use. It has a level knob to control the amount of distortion, a low knob to control the low-end of the distortion, a high knob to control the high end of the distortion, and a gain knob for the volume of the pedal. You can get a lot of sounds out of it. Harmonics sound really good on it. It's my first distortion pedal, and I'm glad to say that, because it's powerful. // 10

Sound: I used to have a standard Squire Strat. It sounded pretty good, but my friend's Ibanez sounds better because of the humbuckers, and my guitar is a peice of crap. It also sounds cool when you plug it into a bass guitar. I use it with a Marshall MG15DFX, and have used it with my Frontman 15G. I can get the sounds that I want just by adjusting the four knobs, and adjusting the settings on my amp, too. // 10

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on it. If I had a show, I'm pretty sure I could use it without needing a backup. The plastic knobs broke, so I have to turn the controls by the little metal thing. I also lost the spring inside, and the screw that kept it shut, but that's just for cosmetics and comfort. I just like the sound and the strength the body has. // 9

Overall Impression: It's a match for my music. I play anything from Van Halen to GNR, and metal-style songs. It satisfies my needs. If it were lost/stolen, I'd try and find the same kind cheaper. I love everything about it. It has everything you need in distortion: level, gain, and two tone knobs. Compared to others I saw on the internet, and in magazines, this was the best. The sound is definitely more controllable with this. // 10

Bad Dog Distortion Reviewed by: E V H 5150, on august 30, 2006

Ease of Use: This pedal is really easy to use. It can get some metal sounds, which my friend did, but I prefer classic rock. It's really easy to get great sound out of it. No manual. It's not really needed. It's pretty self-explanatory. You just need to read the knobs. Level is level of distortion, low and high for EQ, and the gain which controls volume, I think. // 10

Sound: It sounds great with a Peavey Rotor EX through my Marshall MG15DFX, an Ibanez Jumpstart through an Marshall MG15DFX, and my Squire Strat through my MG15DFX. I don't have the money to buy a good guitar. With my MG15DFX and this distortion, it can compete with drums with the amp set at about 7 on the clean channel. It produces a screech, but that's if my amp would be anywhere above 6, with guitar volume at full. I don't exactly try and sound exactly like my favorites, like Van Halen or The Scorpions, and my other favorites play clean. But this pedal makes harmonics sound a lot better. // 9

Reliability & Durability: I can depend on this. The battery life is great, and it has a slot for a 9V adaptor. The knobs broke, and I lost the thumbscrew and spring inside. But the spring and screw were my fault. The knobs weren't turning right, so I took them off. I think it actually looks coller without them. I would use it without backup. I don't have another one, and I won't get another. // 9

Overall Impression: I play metal, classic rock, and sometimes I just mess around with harmonics, taps, and other techniques. It works great for me. It goes great with my Marshall MG15DFX. If it were lost or stolen, I'd buy it again. I love everything about it. I can't think of anything abd for this pedal.I did not compare it to any other distortion. At the time I bought it, I was just looking for anything I could afford, and what use is a flanger if there's no sweet distortion to use with it, and the OD on your Frontman 15G is terrible? It has what a distrotion needs. And I think you would have more control over tone if you could actually control over bass and treble. // 9

Bad Dog Distortion Reviewed by: Ziggy936, on december 24, 2007

Ease of Use: It sounds great. It's very versatile and has a wide range of uses. I can get anything from blues and metal to making my guitar sound like a Cello. I've experimented a lot with it. Might take awhile for some people to figure out the settings and get what they want out of it so I'm giving it a 7. // 7

Sound: I use an ESP LTD-H50 with a Marshall G15RCD practice amp and when I'm not practicing I use it with a PA system(not sure what make or model). It has a ground buzz when used with an adapter, but that is normal I suppose. The effects are great, I can go anywhere from fuzzy to a heavy crunch. I can get the Angus Young sound out of it pretty good and make it scream like Wylde. Also sounds good when playing Lynyrd Skynyrd style. // 10

Reliability & Durability: Its a pretty tough little pedal. It's taken a few bumps and drops. It's held up pretty well so far and I've had it for at least a year of tough use. Don't need a backup with this pedal, It's pretty solid. It would be hard to wear it down, unless of course you really try. It's a nine, but just because the inset on the knobs come out. It's no big deal at all, I just like my gear in best of shape as possible. // 9

Overall Impression: I play just about every type of music that involves a guitar. I've played for 3 years. This pedal, again, is very versatile and reliable. I would buy another if I needed to. I like how it can turn a clean amp into a heavy crunch. If you want a good pedal that's tough and has a wide range of playability go with this one. Gave it a 10, definitely worth getting. // 10

Comments