Lyon Wah review by Washburn

Washburn: Lyon Wah

Purchased from: Target

Using it with a 2003 Squire Stratas well as a bunch of '60s Vintage guitars (see profile) through a Fender Frontman 25R amp (see my review). As I said, it rocks. All I had to do is re-index the pot so it would actually wah, and that's it. Very nice Vintage-sounding wah. With a few mods (see the GB&C's wah modding thread) you can make it sound even better. One thing I don't like about it is when using it with distortion, there is a spot close to/at the heel-back position that filters out the tonic so nothing but harmonics comes through. This may be a standard thing with wahs, but I've never used any other one. Still, it could be useful for those Who do unconventional things with their gear.

Despite all I've heard (and the brand and where I got it), this is an awesome pedal. Too bad it does that thing with distortion. If it were stolen or lost (and it's broken now, 'cause I went mod-crazy on it), I'd definately get a new one (I just can't afford it right now).

This thing is solid cast zinc. It's built like a tank. I'd gig without a backup for sure. The pedal attachment is solid, and the potentiometer isn't going anywhere. Battery life is pretty good as well.

The input/output jacks aren't labled, but other than that, it's really easy to use this. Paid $60 in the store, but for some reason it is $70 online. Didn't come with a manual, just instructions on how to change the battery. Uses 1 9-volt battery or a negative-centered 9-volt power supply. It has an LED indicator on the side to show relative battery power and whether the unit is on or off. Standard Crybaby-type design and construction. Basically, it's identical to a Crybaby, but with some improvements. It has an LED Status indicator (as said before) and a better input buffer (even less tone-sucking), and a better inductor (about 500mH instead of the muddy 660mH Dunlop inductors). Don't let the brand name and place of purchase throw you off. This pedal rocks!

roarinflames
    for some reason i have this pedal as well as the chorus (surprisingly really good) and the distortion (meh) the wah aint too bad the pedal itself is particularly noisy though (it squeeks when i use it)
    Aaronrockstar15
    haha this pedal is great yeah it does make some fuzz for me and my amp but its wah effect is all good ~.~
    danthefatman09
    It would be great to see items not bought by non-musical store companies. It's hard enough to compete with Guitar Center and Sam Ash than to have musicians shopping at Target or Wal-mart of all places for musical gear.
    Invader Jim
    Yeah, but if it wasn't for me being at Target, I would never have gotten a wah.