Lyon Wah review by Washburn

Washburn: Lyon Wah

Price paid: A$ 20

Purchased from: eBay

I am playing with a B\.C\. Rich Warlock and a Marshall MG15DFX with this pedal. I find the sound to be quite impressive from this pedal, granted however I don't have any practical experience with any other pedals. I was able to reproduce the sound of the wah in Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams with relative ease. Here's a quick snippet I recorded, it's pretty poorly done. But it's a demo of the pedal in action.

I got this off of eBay for $20 new plus $15 postage so I'm quite happy with it. With my current budget/ability/knowledge, if it were stolen I would gladly buy the same model again if I could find it for this price. The only things I can fault it on so far I mentioned in the reliability and durability section.

This seems built to be almost bullet proof, the only 2 problems I have had so far (I have only used it for a few hours) are that the adhesive on the rubber feet gave way quickly and I took all 4 off, I also think the axle needs oil as it started squeaking quickly. As a testament to it's durability I'll state that the store shipped it with no real padding. Just a form fitting box, given what our postal service is like the fact it survived with just a layer of shrink wrap and a thin box says that it's tough.

I found it pretty damn easy to get good sounds out of it. This is my first effects pedal and my first experience with a wah pedal, it's a bit of a learning curve so I'm sure I can get better sounds out of it later. Unfortunately the manual for it is non existent, I just received a box that has no technical or instructional data on it at all.

BucketHayden
    "Using it with a 2003 Squire Stratas well as a bunch of '60s Vintage guitars (see profile) through a Fender Frontman 25R amp (see my review)." sure buddy, 60's vintage...try hard alert everyone he has 60's vintage guitars but the squire and frontman are just that much better than a good tone
    dis_is_riskee
    i think i have a different model to all your people who've put up photos, cos u'rs looks kinda plasticy where mine's metal and a really solid build. maybe its just a new make
    harris.17
    I have had this pedal for over 8 years now. I use it almost every day. Built like a tank, and still works great to this day. This pedal is awesome!
    MichaelJKeller1
    I bought one new and paid $70 for it in the store. That was 2 - 3 years ago. Out of the entire 2 - 3 years that I owned the thing, if my memory serves me correctly, I MIGHT have gotten - honestly - 2 seconds of sound out of it. The 9 volt plug was extremely lose straight out of the box, and ANY vibration to the unit whatsoever would disconnect the power. (Try not to vibrate a pedal that is operated with the foot!) So - being the eternal optimist that I am, yesterday, I went out and bought a 9 volt battery, even though I hate operating my pedals with batteries. I tried every combination of plugging input / output cables, but I can't get the thing to turn on. At all. (By comparison, I have a very old - 1970's - Morley pedal that has a burnt bulb that I replaced with a light from a string of Christmas lights - and the thing works like a new charm.) I run my keyboards through pedals. "The sweetness of the deal is long gone when the bitterness of poor quality remains." I usually by the most expensive, highest quality equipment. I'd rather spend good money on something that will last, rather than spend the same money all over again - and then some - when the cheap item fails. I will mark this one up to "Lesson learned / experienced gained." Experience is the only thing that is never free. I just took this unit - with less than 2 minutes of play time on it - out with this morning's trash.