Lyon Wah Review

manufacturer: Washburn date: 07/29/2009 category: Guitar Effects

Sign up to get weekly digest with top stories from UG. Ads free, only news.

Thanks for subscribing! Check your email soon for some great stories from UG

Washburn: Lyon Wah
 1,795
reviews (3) 11 comments vote for this gear:
Lyon Wah Reviewed by: Invader Jim, on july 14, 2008

Purchased from: Target

Ease of Use: The input/output jacks aren't labled, but other than that, it's really easy to use this. Paid $60 in the store, but for some reason it is $70 online. Didn't come with a manual, just instructions on how to change the battery. Uses 1 9-volt battery or a negative-centered 9-volt power supply. It has an LED indicator on the side to show relative battery power and whether the unit is on or off. Standard Crybaby-type design and construction. Basically, it's identical to a Crybaby, but with some improvements. It has an LED Status indicator (as said before) and a better input buffer (even less tone-sucking), and a better inductor (about 500mH instead of the muddy 660mH Dunlop inductors). Don't let the brand name and place of purchase throw you off. This pedal rocks! // 10

Sound: Using it with a 2003 Squire Stratas well as a bunch of '60s Vintage guitars (see profile) through a Fender Frontman 25R amp (see my review). As I said, it rocks. All I had to do is re-index the pot so it would actually wah, and that's it. Very nice Vintage-sounding wah. With a few mods (see the GB&C's wah modding thread) you can make it sound even better. One thing I don't like about it is when using it with distortion, there is a spot close to/at the heel-back position that filters out the tonic so nothing but harmonics comes through. This may be a standard thing with wahs, but I've never used any other one. Still, it could be useful for those Who do unconventional things with their gear. // 9

Reliability & Durability: This thing is solid cast zinc. It's built like a tank. I'd gig without a backup for sure. The pedal attachment is solid, and the potentiometer isn't going anywhere. Battery life is pretty good as well. // 10

Overall Impression: Despite all I've heard (and the brand and where I got it), this is an awesome pedal. Too bad it does that thing with distortion. If it were stolen or lost (and it's broken now, 'cause I went mod-crazy on it), I'd definately get a new one (I just can't afford it right now). // 9

Lyon Wah Reviewed by: dis_is_riskee, on july 14, 2009

Price paid: A$ 45

Purchased from: Big W

Ease of Use: This is one of the most simple pedals I've ever used or seen. It features just a knob for range. It's great looking a produces a great sound. It didn't come with a manual, as I got an open box discount, but since this is such a sturdy durable product, it was perfect and in-tact. It's sturdy but is easy to use; it's not hard to push up and down, but it is sometimes a little hard to turn it on and off, but that's really only if your not standing up - meaning this amp isn't likely to be part of an on-stage problem. // 8

Sound: My set up (LWAH Washburn pedal between a Yamaha pacifica guitar and a basic storm australia ae-t20, or sometimes Cube 60, provides a great warm, sound. It's great when your trying to bring attention to solos, but creating a wah wah over it, or if your trying to make a fuzzy guitar pattern in the back ground of your song, (like most songs by Tame Impala) you just put it in the position you want. Since this is a one-effect amp, it only has the Vintage Wah effect on it, but it's a great sound. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This is an amazing, strong, sturdy and great looking pedal. I depend on this for all my concerts, and I would definently go to a concert without a backup, nothing else is needed with this. I've dropped it many times and its still find. I'm very happy with this buy and it's a good piece of equipment. // 10

Overall Impression: This Pedal is pretty much perfect for the Vintage Wah effect. It's great for jazz/funk solo's. The battery power is a great advantage, but it's also great having the option of wall-plug, for emergencies. Unfortunatly you have to supply your own DC 9 volt plug. If I lost this I would definently look into buying another one, though I doubt I'd ever get as good deal as I got with the one I currently have. Over all, an amazing pedal! // 10

Lyon Wah Reviewed by: nitestick, on july 29, 2009

Price paid: A$ 20

Purchased from: eBay

Ease of Use: I found it pretty damn easy to get good sounds out of it. This is my first effects pedal and my first experience with a wah pedal, it's a bit of a learning curve so I'm sure I can get better sounds out of it later. Unfortunately the manual for it is non existent, I just received a box that has no technical or instructional data on it at all. // 6

Sound: I am playing with a B\.C\. Rich Warlock and a Marshall MG15DFX with this pedal. I find the sound to be quite impressive from this pedal, granted however I don't have any practical experience with any other pedals. I was able to reproduce the sound of the wah in Marilyn Manson's cover of Sweet Dreams with relative ease. Here's a quick snippet I recorded, it's pretty poorly done. But it's a demo of the pedal in action. // 10

Reliability & Durability: This seems built to be almost bullet proof, the only 2 problems I have had so far (I have only used it for a few hours) are that the adhesive on the rubber feet gave way quickly and I took all 4 off, I also think the axle needs oil as it started squeaking quickly. As a testament to it's durability I'll state that the store shipped it with no real padding. Just a form fitting box, given what our postal service is like the fact it survived with just a layer of shrink wrap and a thin box says that it's tough. // 8

Overall Impression: I got this off of eBay for $20 new plus $15 postage so I'm quite happy with it. With my current budget/ability/knowledge, if it were stolen I would gladly buy the same model again if I could find it for this price. The only things I can fault it on so far I mentioned in the reliability and durability section. // 10

More Washburn reviews rating category latest review
+ X20 8.2 Electric Guitars 11/06/2015