Soloist Distortion review by Washburn

Washburn: Soloist Distortion

Purchased from: Sam Ash

I use a crappy little Epi Studio 15w amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Work with me, I'm broke :P). This pedal definitely helps my tone. It's loud, it's raunchy, and helps with that "swinging" kinda sound (not sure how else to describe it...). It gets a very noisy when I attempt to combine it with my Cool Cat CM 1 Metal pedal. The hiss is horrible. It sounds great at louder volumes and even mid volumes for playing at home. I tend to go higher on the treble and mid on the mids and bass with mid gain on the pedal. Sounds like some good old rock n roll, like AC/DC. You can get it to sound like Guns N Roses or Led Zeppelin as well. Really sweet. However, it lacks clarity at times, and gets a little hissy at higher volumes.

I play thrash/classic metal (Metallica and Sabbath, respectively) and hard rock/classic rock. I typically use my Cool Cat CM 1 Metal pedal for the metal stuff (higher gains, heavier, more bass). This pedal really, really puts out a great AC/DC sound and manages to accent the twang a little more. I've been playing for almost a year and own two Danelectro Cool Cats (CM 1 Metal and a Chorus). They're great pedals, but the Washburn Soloist Distortion definitely earns a spot in my gear (that little which I have, I don't have much a choice). I use an Epiphone Les Paul Special II with an Epi Studio 15w amp. The guitar is alright, the amp is crap. I had intended to buy another Danelectro Cool Cat (a distortion one, for rock and what not) but Sam Ash was sold out, so the clerk recommended me this pedal for a similar price. It was a blind leap of Faith but I'm glad I took it. If it were lost or stolen, I'd consider replacing it, but I'm not too sure. I love the purple and that "click" sound. It's perfect for the price and I got what I paid for.

It's got a metal case so I'm confident I won't break it. However, the backing case on the battery compartment is a little loose, which I worry about sometimes. I would use this at a gig with a back up just because I'm a worry wart :P This would be a back up if I had better pedals.

Very easy to use, great for a beginner. It's got an enjoyable sound, and is great at high high ends with my amp. However, the gain and contour knobs' markers are hard to see but that's not much a problem. It's got a satisfying click when you activate it, and is a great rock pedal. However, the battery compartment is a little awkward and is annoying to get the cover back on.

Rickondrius
    This is an AMAZING pedal for the price, it's real cheap. I've gigged with it and didn't disappoint me. It really is a good pedal.