Soloist Distortion Review

3,676
reviews (2) 5 comments vote for this gear:
Soloist Distortion Reviewed by: anderseb, on november 26, 2009

Purchased from: Amazon

Ease of Use: This is a good pedal for getting fuzz type sounds, and has a sufficient range of sounds, from blues to rock. This is just a mono purpose stompbox, as there aren't any patches, presets, etc. You just dial in the sound with the gig-worthy knobs and find the tone that works best for you. The instruction booklet could be better, as there aren't really any tips or helpful suggestions for use right out of the box. However, it is really easy to get used to and after a while, you don't even need an owners' manual. This pedal is very simple, but you can get some great tones with it. My unit hasn't been upgraded or anything, but I find it doesn't need to be upgraded. I do have some problems with the battery compartment down below, though. This unit runs on a 9 volt battery or a 9 volt adapter (battery/adapter not included). // 9

Sound: I used this pedal with a Line 6 Spider III 15 watt amplifier, and it did the job great. I didn't even recognize any noise, and it was great for band practices with a lot of solos. This pedal can get extremely noisy when the contour is turned past 3 o clock, but other than that, it works great. The effects work great, and they always seem to stay strong. All the effects have very good value and work great, and you can get a good variety of tones. // 8

Reliability & Durability: This pedal is really solid, however, in cases too solid. I find that the true bypass is hard to switch from on to off without applying some force, and I sometimes have the wrong settings for a particular song. However, using this for a gig with about 20 people, this pedal suits really well all on its own without any other pedals in the signal chain. It can do the job really well, but I use another multi effects pedal due to the fact that it is a multi effects pedal. // 7

Overall Impression: I find this was a good investment, and worth much more than what I paid for it. It may seem small, but this pedal is great and is a must have in a pedalboard. This pedal can almost perfectly emulate tones similar to Steve Vais', and I have no regrets. This pedal suits well for Led Zeppelin, Green Day, AC/DC, and many other bands. It has a wide range of sounds for its size and price. I would definitely buy it again, as it is great to have as a backup or just to have around the house. Putting this pedal in front of other expensive multi effects units, this pedal has lots and lots of value behind it. Worth buying. // 8

Soloist Distortion Reviewed by: BluSouthPaw, on may 27, 2010

Purchased from: Sam Ash

Ease of Use: Very easy to use, great for a beginner. It's got an enjoyable sound, and is great at high high ends with my amp. However, the gain and contour knobs' markers are hard to see but that's not much a problem. It's got a satisfying click when you activate it, and is a great rock pedal. However, the battery compartment is a little awkward and is annoying to get the cover back on. // 9

Sound: I use a crappy little Epi Studio 15w amp with an Epiphone Les Paul Special II (Work with me, I'm broke :P). This pedal definitely helps my tone. It's loud, it's raunchy, and helps with that "swinging" kinda sound (not sure how else to describe it...). It gets a very noisy when I attempt to combine it with my Cool Cat CM 1 Metal pedal. The hiss is horrible. It sounds great at louder volumes and even mid volumes for playing at home. I tend to go higher on the treble and mid on the mids and bass with mid gain on the pedal. Sounds like some good old rock n roll, like AC/DC. You can get it to sound like Guns N Roses or Led Zeppelin as well. Really sweet. However, it lacks clarity at times, and gets a little hissy at higher volumes. // 8

Reliability & Durability: It's got a metal case so I'm confident I won't break it. However, the backing case on the battery compartment is a little loose, which I worry about sometimes. I would use this at a gig with a back up just because I'm a worry wart :P This would be a back up if I had better pedals. // 7

Overall Impression: I play thrash/classic metal (Metallica and Sabbath, respectively) and hard rock/classic rock. I typically use my Cool Cat CM 1 Metal pedal for the metal stuff (higher gains, heavier, more bass). This pedal really, really puts out a great AC/DC sound and manages to accent the twang a little more. I've been playing for almost a year and own two Danelectro Cool Cats (CM 1 Metal and a Chorus). They're great pedals, but the Washburn Soloist Distortion definitely earns a spot in my gear (that little which I have, I don't have much a choice). I use an Epiphone Les Paul Special II with an Epi Studio 15w amp. The guitar is alright, the amp is crap. I had intended to buy another Danelectro Cool Cat (a distortion one, for rock and what not) but Sam Ash was sold out, so the clerk recommended me this pedal for a similar price. It was a blind leap of Faith but I'm glad I took it. If it were lost or stolen, I'd consider replacing it, but I'm not too sure. I love the purple and that "click" sound. It's perfect for the price and I got what I paid for. // 8

Comments