Fat Sandwich WHE301 review by Way Huge

• Users' score: 8 (1 vote)
Way Huge: Fat Sandwich WHE301

Well, if you are looking for grab'n'go and plug&play pedal then stay away from WHE301. It is not definitely out of the box unit, you will have to spend an awful lot of time to get that exact one-spot tone, but when you will finally find it - trust me, Fat Sandwitch will blow your balls off. It has five knobs on top of the chasis: volume (obvious - controls the loudness/output level), distortion (amount of gain), tone (basic EQ), presence (kind of high freq boost over the overall tone) and resonance (low freq boost). You have enough? Fasten your seatbelt please, because when you remove bottom cover you'll find additional three internal trimpots which controls the amount of gain in each stages. You really need a manual (included with effect) to see, understand and tune Fat Sandwich with your flavour.

Although WHE301 Fat Sandwich Harmonic Saturator is rather advertised as a kind of hardcore distortion with tons of gain it can be easily used as a smooth, gentle overdrive, boost to an already overdriven amp or even as a standalone distortion unit with fuzz capability. I guess that it fits any musical style - bluesy rock, classic '80s rock and definitely metal. It distorts very easily, so be careful - sandwich can go out of control. At some level of distortion it produces some hiss but I guess it is rather normal phenomenon with any dirt pedals. The best advantage is it responsibility to guitar volume knob - you can clean all the gain from this pedal just by turning your VK down - amazing feature, really.

I really cannot tell much about Reliability and Durability here because WHE301 is actually my first pedal from Way Huge. However - first impression was rather positive, seems to be kind of rock-solid. It has a metal chasis, very strong on/off switch, nice big knobs. Since Way Huge is Jim Dunlop sub-company I guess they keep their standards and will not make weak and unreliable pedal. Moreover we should keep in mind that lots of pros use WH (Joe Bonamassa e.g.) so it only proves that you really can rely on these units.

To be honest I was not sure if WHE301 Fat Sandwich is good choice - I bought it sight unseen, definitely. Lucky for me turned out to be quite good choice. However now I know that I will need some time to get familiar with it. Also I have done my time with dirt pedals so in comparison to other distortions WHE301 is quite outstanding. Looks great, too. Generally I play all styles of music, I stay open-minded and still learning improvisation with soloing and it helps me a lot to get that edgy-grunge-heavy sound.