Green Rhino MkII WHE202 review by Way Huge

Way Huge: Green Rhino MkII WHE202

Purchased from: eBay.com

It's based off of an Ibanez TS-808 (or 9?) circuit. It contains the typical Volume, Tone, and Drive controls that are found on practically every Overdrive pedal. What makes it different than the other tubescreamer copies is that this pedal has a 100Hz EQ knob that allows you to cut or boost your low end +/- 12dB. There is also Curve knob that allows you to shape its tone even more. Another great thing that's include in the circuitry of the pedal is that it is 100% true bypass when it's shut off. Unlike most other Overdrive pedals that are either noisy or somewhat quiet, this pedal is completely silent and it's like it's not even there.

When I bought this pedal, I had the intention to use it as a lead boost on my Marshall Vintage Modern 2266 (which I got a month after I got this). The Green Rhino works phenomenal as a boost since it gives you full, saturated, and rocking lead tones. It makes my Epiphone Les Paul Standard and Kramer Focus 3000 scream on solos.

And to add to its versatility, I used it in place of the Drive channel on my Fender Frontman 212R for a bit. I adds a great and chunky rhythm tone and gives off a really nice and gritty feel for my main styles of music: 80s to modern rock. Most of the people reading this will ask "Does the Green Rhino sound good with other effects?". The answer is a big fat "Yes." Depending on the song I'm playing (cover or original), I either use this with a Boss Super Chorus, Boss Compressor, or both. It doesn't clash with the other effects and it really allows it to have it's own, unique sound on top of it.

As mentioned in the "Sound" section, I mainly play 80s to modern rock. Every so often, I'll listen to and learn other genres, but that's my "comfort zone". Also, my other gear is mentioned in the "Sound" section as well. It's a great match for my style of music and other styles as well. If it was stolen/lost, I would buy another right away. This pedal has greatly grown on me and I prefer it over every other Overdrive pedal that I've personally heard.

Previously, I compared it to an Ibanez Tubescreamer in the sense that it's circuit is based off of it. What makes the Green Rhino better is the fact that you can adjust the overall low end with the "100Hz" knob and shape the tone even more with the "Curve" knob. I believe that the Green Rhino is possibly one of the most versatile Overdrive pedals out there and I'd recommend it to anyone in search of an Overdrive pedal regardless of the genre that they play.

Video from YouTube:

YouTube preview picture

I've been religiously playing it since I purchased it and all I can definitely rely on the Green Rhino. It's an amazing pedal with an amazing tone. It is built to last and I can't see it going anywhere. I have never had any sort of problems with it's electronics or physical appearance and it still looks brand new. Gigging without a backup wouldn't be much of a problem unless it somehow dies on me, which I doubt will happen. The only form of a "backup" for this pedal is exactly another one just in case anything happens to my first one.

I bought this off of eBay in August of last year for $120 (US). It was brand new, never used, and it came with the manual and other papers for Dunlop strings, electronics, etc. Since then, I kept this pedal completely stock and I personally think it does NOT ever need to be upgraded. The Green Rhino is a very user-friendly pedal and is easy to shape your tone. Whether you are using it as an Overdrive to your amp or you want to add some extra punch, volume, and Drive to "boost" a solo, this is the pedal for you.

ihartfood
    wow, nice review. it helps that you have decent gear too. thanks man!
    aerosmithfan95
    Hey, great that I can help out! I've came across many reviews and demos of gear (guitars, pedals, pickups, etc) and the people were playing them through "crappier" gear which didn't give it justice. =P
    Goodtimes666
    i've been using this as a clean boost in front of my 6505 for over a year now. its an amazing pedal, i don't even want to play anything distorted without it now.
    Iommianity
    I use this pedal quite a bit for all kinds of different things. At home it's the basis of my distorted sound. My rig consists of either a Bogner Uberschall through a 4x10 bass cab and a tiny, 30 watt Fender Rumble. I can only play through the latter at home, so the Rhino gets used a lot.