Green Rhino MkII WHE202 review by Way Huge

Way Huge: Green Rhino MkII WHE202

It is extremely easy to get a great sound out of this pedal. It only took me about 5 minutes once I got it home. The controls are straightforward and easy to use. The manual gives some example sounds, but if you really know what you're doing you shouldn't need them at all. I would recommend using the pedal as a first gain stage, but it is also very easy to use as a solo boost pedal. There is a easy to use mid control that shapes the sound at a simple turn of the knob. This is the easiest overdrive to use that I've ever tried.

The green rhino overdrive is one of the most versatile low gain overdrives on the market in the 90 to 130 dollar price range. I am running the pedal into my Fender Super Champ X2's clean channel, which is in fact all tube, and the pedal sounds fantastic! First off, the pedal runs at a minimum noise level, even with the gain cranked. The pedal can go anywhere from creamy smooth leads, to transparent rhythm overdrives, to clean boosting. This thing is really loud! I regularly use every tone shaping control and they all work flawlessly, the only problem I have with this pedal is that if you want a transparent sound with higher gain, it sounds a little too muddy for my taste.

Solid construction, metal casing, great feeling footswitch. Only complaint is that the knobs are plastic and at times can feel cheap. I would definitely use this as my first gain stage almost all the time for gigs at church, or with my band. The casing isn't quite as strong as I would've liked, but it isn't cheap either. The footswitch feels like it is very very solid, and will last a long time. It almost feels springy when you stomp on it, I've never had a pedal that does that before but it feels great and it's super quiet which is an added bonus.

I play anything from jazz to blues to worship to hard rock, and this pedal does well. It doesn't have enough gain on tap to do the hard rock stuff on its own, but in that situation I use it as a solo boost and it works very well. I have been playing for nearly 6 years and this is easily the best overdrive for my tastes that I've owned. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy a new one. I compared this overdrive to others that were more expensive, and this one won every time. At first I was weary that I was buying just another tube screamer clone, I was totally wrong. This OD has all of the bass dynamics that the TS does not, and it doesn't have that ungodly mid hump.

Scarfaceguy96
    This is my first pedal as i've only been playing for a year & unlike others i've had a shot of, this one is so easy to use with my Epiphone Les Paul Special II, got used to it right away !