Green Rhino MkII WHE202 review by Way Huge

Way Huge: Green Rhino MkII WHE202

Despite having a couple more knobs than the regular Tube Screamer, I believe the Green Rhino is very easy to use. I bought this used, so no manual was included, but the online manual is helpful. The only thing it doesn't really explain the Curve knob, but it's easy to figure out it controls the mid hump associated with Tube Screamers plus, the word "Mids" is right next to it). I find the controls to be quite precise, so a little tweaking-such as finding the right amount of boost to use before it got muddy-was necessary, but no more than any other pedal I've owned.

I mostly use this pedal as a solo boost for my OD channel on my Peavey VK212 or my fuzz pedal (either a Way Huge Swollen Pickle or Big Muff Pi). I find this is what it excels at. It provides for excellent clarity (while retaining warmth) on my neck pickup (Seymour Duncan SH-6N) and clear pinch harmonics on the bridge (TB-6) thanks to the 100hZ knob (low end) knob. The mid curve knob can be turned down to remove any sort of honk or ice-pickiness. I play mostly Iron Maiden/Judas Priest, basic thrash metal, and Black Sabbath (it's what I use the Green Rhino+Fuzz combo on). It's a little noisy through a lead channel, but my amp is a little buzzy anyway. As a result, I have a Decimator II, so it's no skin off my back because I need a noise gate regardless. Lastly, though I don't use it this way too often, it sounds excellent for a blues and classic rock tone on a clean channel with the level lower than gain. For an example, I could get an AC/DC tone with the level around 10:00 and gain around 2:00 or 3:00. It's very warm when ran this way, which may be good or bad depending on one's setup (not a biggie for me). On a side note: my guitar is a Charvel So-Cal.

I have owned this pedal for about three months now, and it is durable. No signs of failing performance, scratchy pots, or loose switches. It's important to note that this pedal was used when I bought it, so it's been around even longer. I predict that this pedal will survive for years to come. As long as it is handled properly, the Way Huge Green Rhino will provide the overdrive and boost that I need. As long as you don't do something dumb (like throw it from towering heights or pour water on the circuit board), it will even work for you!

This pedal is truly designed to get precise tones. I chose it over the MXR Custom Badass Modified because it provided more gain to a lead channel, and over a Hardwire CM-2 because it provided more clarity AND could control the mid hump. The mid hump is very important to my solo tone, as it allows the "just right" sweet spot of smoothness without having an ice pick sharpness. Along with the Curve control, I love the fact that it has separate bass and treble controls. This allows me to tighten up/add clarity with the low end while not having to add any unnecessary brightness. I knew I needed this, so I chose the Green Rhino over the TS-9 and basically every other 3 knob clone of it. Lastly, this pedal is true bypass and has quiet on/off operation. I would definitely buy again if stolen, as I can't think of a single feature that I wish the pedal had. I understand it's not the best thing to give out high ratings for most sections, but this pedal just does everything I need when it comes to a good (and accurate, depending on what I'm after) solo tone without the risk of breaking down.