Swollen Pickle MkII WHE401 review by Way Huge

Way Huge: Swollen Pickle MkII WHE401

Purchased from: Sam Ash

A manual is provided but you can really figure out how to use the thing without it. Its very simple and straightforward. Like I said before there are two knobs underneath the back-plate which can be accessed by removing the feet. Those two knobs let you adjust how much clipping you want to allow among other things which can affect the sound. The seemingly endless amount of sounds you could get from this pedal is staggering. I don't think this is the type of pedal where one would get lost using. I use it with almost a dozen other pedals in my chain and I can easily adjust it accordingly depending on what kind of sound I would like to get out of my rig.

First of all, this thing sounds monstrous. Completely enormous. This was my first pedal from Way Huge so I initially did not know what to expect. I initially went to the store to buy a Big Muff but was left slightly disappointed by it so the sales rep who was helping me recommended me this little green pedal with the funny name and instantly I dug it. I am using it with a Fender Champ 100 (2x12 100 watt) and it sounds amazing with it. This pedal can make sounds as diverse as a lightly distorted fuzz sound reminiscent to a very light overdrive to completely balls out fuzzed (like the live Jack White guitar sound or Jimi Hendrix in the studio). My favorite sound I could get out of this thing is almost exactly like the tone Jack White gets on the bridge of The White Stripes track "Hypnotize" as well as the tone he gets on the heavy riff part of his solo instrumental "High Ball Stepper." You can also easily get the trademark Jack White "stutter" sound if you chaotically punch at the strings with a quick attack. Its a very warm, rounded out guitar tone but extremely heavy. You can alter the tone via the 5 knobs on the pedal plus 2 inside if you choose to unscrew the feet and mess around with it.

This pedal is built like a tank. Not only will it not break in most circumstances, I don't even think it can bruise without intent. The buttons have not fallen off or anything yet, I can depend on it without backup live no question. The finish seems like it will last for quite a while before even the slightest amount of chipping or fade. If I lose this or it somehow manages to break I would most certainly go out and buy a new one right away. But that is very unlikely since this thing is very durable.

I've been playing guitar for almost 8 years, I play a lot of alternative, indie, garage rock, blues, and plenty of metal too. This fuzz really works with anything except for chugging metal which would require a straight distortion. It works well as a riff heavy rhythm or a chaotic lead. This pedal totally eliminates the need for an overdrive or a screamer since it can create and OD tone with the right EQ and knob settings and is loud enough to work without a boost. It blows the Big Muff, Fuzz Head and the Fuzz Face out of the water no question.