EP Booster review by Xotic Effects

• Users' score: 10 (1 vote)
Xotic Effects: EP Booster

Purchased from: Guitar Center Used

Very easy to use and figure out. There is a internal dip switch that you can do three different settings with. The first one (default) is great for boosting your leads and solo type stuff. The unity gain setting acts like a od pedal with drive all the way down and the level and tone knobs up. I love this type of setting for metal and harder rock riffs. The Vintage setting sound more of a britishy mid range boost. All sound Great! I have never played or even seen the original Echo Machine EP-3 that all the greats used as a preamp but this pedal represents that and it must have been one awesome piece of gear. Check out the video below for all the tones and settings you can use with this bad boy.

YouTube preview picture

If you need that extra kick for your guitar solo, or that heavy hitting breakdown this pedal is the perfect piece of gear you need. I have used this in front of some very different amps (5150iii, Peavey Valveking, Fender deluxe combo) and it sounds amazing in front of any of them. I have always been a fan of using tubescreamer type OD's in front of amps for that extra push and and clarity which is exactly what this pedal does. I'm not going to lie and say this is the best boost pedal in the world because that's all up to personal taste, but I think I like this one a little bit more than your standard tubescreamer/maxon od type pedal.

I would definitely use this pedal for live use. It is very small and compact so you can fit it just about anywhere on your pedal board. With just one knob and one button you simply can just set it and stomp it on or off live. Built like a tank, the blue light when activated is very bright so you will always be able to tell if it is on or not. I love the clarity this pedal brings out in your tone when you have your gain cranked up on your amp. When playing on clean it gives your tone such a nice boost that is not muddy in any way.

$120 seems kind of steep for a pedal but this company builds such strong amazing pedals you will know why they are a little bit more pricey. Besides the price (which is not that bad compared to others, quality/quantity haha) I love everything about this pedal. From the studio to live use to just jamming this is a piece of gear you have to have. If something were to happen to this pedal I would instantly go buy a new one. Xotic also has other pedals that I really want to try out, they are an amazing company. Do yourself a favor and go buy one and help your already great tone get even better!