2020 review by Zoom

Zoom: 2020

Purchased from: ebay

I mostly use either a Dean "Dime-O-Flame" or a Jackson RR1 with EMG 81/85's, and a Line 6 Spider II 150 watt amp. It runs fine for the most part, there is a noise gate called "ZNR" (zoom noise reduction) that you can change the level of so your noise doesn't sound unnatural when you stop. The distortions are not all that great, but if you play something kind of grungy or more alternative I'm sure it would be fine. Most of the effects work really good, I don't have an expression pedal for it, but it has a wah, volume, and pitch shift setting. The pitch shift can sound like a synth a little too much, and I wouldn't advise trying to play fast through it because of that, it doesn't sound as good as it should. Although you can change the ratio of the real sound vs. The shift, so you can make it sound like a distant Harmony or completely play the other tone. The other effects work great though, you can edit the speed and intensity of each one, including a ping-pong delay, which works through headphones too. With the feedback setting all the way up, you can keep a note gong for a couple minutes, and get feedback instantly just by standing near the amp. With headphones in, it sounds just as good as an amp, so if you want to practice quietly, it is a really good feature.

I play a lot of Opeth, Lamb Of God, Pantera, just generally heavy metal with some power metal, like tapping. I have to use an alternative outside pedal attatched to it, a DigiTech Grunge, and it sounds fine through that. The effects like chorus sound really good for calm breakdowns with accoustic settings. It doesn't have perfectly seamless switching, but it is so small you would notice unless you were listening for it. If I lost it, I would probably try to get another, but I'm getting a Boss GT-3 soon, so maybe not. The only problems are the distortions and the pitch shift isn't as good as something like a Boss ME-70 with a harmonizer, but it works fine if you want to write a two part Harmony and just want to get the pitches correct. Otherwise I'm very impressed with it, great buy!

The top part of it and the switches are made of plastic, but because of its age and being made in japan and not china, it is actually pretty sturdy. I don't know if I would do a gig with it, you wouldn't want to land on it or something, but for regular playing, practice, or "calm" gigs, it would be fine.

I have only had the pedal for about two weeks now, and I already know how to work everything on it, it is very easy to figure out, and I didn't even need the manual. It is great if you aren't used to anything much more complicated than stompboxes. Editing is a snap, just hit "edit" button, change the sound to how you want, and save it to one of 5 banks and 4 patches.