Iowa review by Slipknot

Slipknot: Iowa
  • Released: Aug 28, 2001

Slipknot's sound is very different than any other band I know. In this album, every space of each song is just filled some crazy shit that sounds good. Its a very dark album. When I listen to this, I don't just "listen to it" like nothing. It definitely changes the atmosphere, its just very dark & heavy sh-t. The intro track "(515)" prepares you for what's to come on this album, its the sound of insanity, the sound of sadness, the sound of anger & hate. In each song, you can hear the emotions in Corey's vocals. His vocals are one of my favorites in metal. His screams & vocals are simply amazing. I'm surprised he can sing in clean vocals as well, you can hear it in the choruses of "My Plague" & "Left Behind". The drum & percussion work are pretty good in this one. You can really hear it in "People=Sh-t", "Skin Ticket", & "Iowa". Craig & Sid's samples are great. Without them, this album wouldn't be what it is. They really change the atmosphere in each song, its beautiful in a dark, twisted way. Mick & Jim's guitar work is great. They play on drop b tuning, so it sounds dark & weird/trippy in a good way. You can hear the trippyness in "Skin Ticket". Paul's bass are pretty good I'd say although you don't hear it as much as in their previous. Sometimes you'll hear this clanking noise that comes from his bass strings. You can really hear what he plays in "Gently" & "Iowa". Overall I just really love the dark twisted sound from this album.

The lyrics in each song has ALOT of meaning. Well, at least to me it does. I, personally, can relate to to most of their songs on this album. The lyrics are pretty straightforward & "in your face". Although in some songs, I needed a dictionary to figure out what some of these big words meant. Lol. there's alot of swearing in this album, so be prepared. The lyrics that have alot of meaning to me personally would be in "People=Sh-t", "Disasterpiece", "The Heretic Anthem", "The Shape" & "Everything Ends". Basically, every song is about hatred, anger, depression, & sadness. But overall, these are great, dark, relatable lyrics.

This is definitely the darkest & heaviest slipknot album & also my favorite one from them. Its somewhat similar to their previous debut album, but its just 10 times as heavier & 5 times as technical. Every one of these songs ARE my favorite. There isn't one song that didn't hit a home run for me. I love everything about this album, there's nothing I dislike about it. If this CD were lost, stolen, or somehow broken, I would definitely buy another one, but I would make sure its the original art cover because I have the alternate cover. I like both, but I'd much rather prefer the original.