505 review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Zoom: 505

None of the patches that were originally assigned to the Zoom 05 I seemed have found useful. So I had to edit the patches so they'd fit what I wanted to play, but even with fine adjustments, the sounds I get out of it are really digital and fake sounding, not natural at all. The worst of it is the distortion settings, none of them feel right, except for acoustic or rythmn cause those hardly distort at all. If you're looking for a heavy metal sound, it's not gonna come out pretty through this thing.

For beginners, this is good starter pedal to have fun with and experiment with different effects you can make with your guitar, but after a few months of having this pedal, I can surely say, that it's not something I'd want to be using on a stage or even at a small gig, you're better off buying combinations of different Boss pedals, that specialize in one thing effectively, rather than buying one multi-effect pedal that can do everything but with a half ass effort.

I haven't done any stress tests to figure out how durable the Zoom 05 really is, but it certainly isn't built like a tank, that's for sure. After a few days of use, the small buttons on the sides began to get stuck down whenever I press on them while editing a patch, screwing up any settings I have set up. The entire thing is made out of plastic so it feels really flimsy and I imagine it would be possible to break it under my own weight if I just stood with both feet straight on it.

This little pedal may pack a lot of effects for you to use, but it can be a bit tricky trying to figure out what all the two charactered digital readings mean on the screen. It's easy to get confused, wondering "Woah, what the hell did I just do" and having to look up in the manual how to set something back. However, once you've taken in everything in the manual you get the hang of things a lot easier. One thing One thing that's kind of ridiculous is the fact that there are different equalizer preset numnbers, not a full equalizer where you can customize it's lows, mids, or highs, it's all presets to choose from, no fine tuning at all. Whenever I find the effect I want to turn on, it simply just gives me a number representing how extreme or subtle the effect is. For example, in delay, it just gives you nine settings, one with long delay, one with short delay, no fade outs so you always here the same echo at the same volume, which is really lame.

areese82
    fadetowhite
    areese82 wrote: I've had this effect for nine years. Does anyone know the difference between this model and the newer "2" version? Besides the way it looks.
    the new one has a new module called 'contour'. it serves as an addition to the equalizer setting
    SeanHart213
    freshtunes
    SeanHart213 wrote: i got mine at a pawn shop for $10. it really sucks. i think the behringer v-amp is better than this thing, and thats a shame because all behringer products suck (aside from a few mixers)
    I'm glad you added the part about the mixers at the end, 'cause you wer egoing to get falmed, lol. My band runs a behringer 9000 something, its the big 24 channel one with the meters, kicks ass.