505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: Allans Music Australia

I am using an Ibanez RG 170 and an Ashton GA100 quad box with an ashton GQ100 head. The patches on the pedal have a volume control (which can be changed for each patch) with this you can achieve the perfect noise level from the effect. Most of the effects always sound great. THe pedal can emulate such sounds as System Of A down, P.O.D., Pantera, Amen, Grinspoon...pretty much anything you want it to do, the majority of the effects sound very good.

I play a mixture of punk, hard rock and metal this pedal is ideal for this style of music as you can get awesome distortions and great sounding mod effects e.g. flanger/chorus. I have been playing for 3 years, I have an Ibanez RG170 a Peavey Raptor an Ibanez DS7 Distortion pedal (which I don't use anymore cos I own the Zoom) and an ashton quad box and head. If it were stolen I would be another one because they are cheap and extremely versatile. I love being able to make effects that people with just stomp boxes can't, I hate how it doesn't have a wah pedal on it, however there is a jack at the back for a wah extension which can be bought, I love the mod effects, I compared it to buying stomp boxes, and if I had of bought stomp boxes I would've got the same sound, however they would've been harder to use and would've cost me a hell of alot more. I wish it had a wah. It definately helps me make music, because it is possible to make unique effects. The Zoom 5052 is an extremely versatile pedal that is light weight, cheap and very effective.

As long as you have spare batteries it is very reliable... I do use it at gigs without backup.

The Zoom 505 comes with 36 patches (the majority of them sound good) and can all be edited, there are excellent typed of distortions (12 in total) and many other effects including delays, flangers, choruses, pitch shifters, phasers. The manual is a geat help however the unit itself is fairly self-explanitry. However changing to different effects can sometimes be a problem, ones you get used to there functions it becomes easy.