505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: Brandalinos Music

My setup is a small crate amp and a BC Rich Warlock Bronze :). They both have great sound, and this just all out makes it kick ass. Some of the effects are more low-end or more high-end so some are hard to hear with the distortion. I personally like the MOD section. There is stuff like chorus, doubling, and(my personal favorite) flanger. I am a Smile Empty soul fan, so I'm lovin this effect, and there are others that i like more, but I wanna keep this short. Like I said, some of the effects are ended so you have to crank the gain on them. Gain increases effect intensity, another reason I love this thing. The only serious problem I see is that since my Crate is small, it cant handle much bass. Some distortions have a lot of bass backup in them to get a forceful sound, so my amp rattles sometimes. This is still bearable though, because it still has great sound. Probably the greatest thing you can d is mix up distortions. I re-created the following distortions: Benji Madden of GC (mix MS Overdrive with C-1 distortion), Santanas old distorion(Mix some of the overdrives) and finally, the legendary Kurt Cobain's distortion (C-1's distortion with the gain cranked to the masses). The flanger, distortion, and chorus are awesome, but some of the stuff like doubling and light chorus are a little bad (especially since you cant mixem to even the ends). But since this is a great pedal, its all made up for.

Our band is a great combo: Bass drive of Mudvayne, Fastness of System of a Down, Chevelles tones, and lyrics that remind me of Smile Empty Soul. This matches perfectly.

I can depend the hell outta this. I am in a band and I play live alot, and I do not by any means need a back up. The olny problem here: The batteries drain like all hell. But get some rechargeable batteries and youll be fine. I can really depend on this thing.

This is a very very easy pedal to use, even though u'll have to spend about a half hour to learn all the features... Still this is the easiest multi-effect pedal I've ever used, especially editing patches. Just hit the "store" button,select where u wanna put the effect, then hit it again, and ure done! The manual shows you how 2 do it, but u can fgure it out. The manual is easy to read, it shows you all the effects and what they do to the sound waves as they pass the patch, its great. I personally would recommend the new 808 version, more effects and easier to use. But if ure not willing to spend that kind of money, then buy this, you will love it.