505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: labataka.com

Some effects are very good but other not so good. I like some distortions (like Overdrive, distortion and lead to make solos), but others are weak and you can't manipulate the distorsions as one wants. The delays and echo effects are very good. The compressor is very good also but sometimes I hear noises when I use it. The choruses and flangers good, and you can armonize your solos with this unit, in 3rds, 4rds and octaves. The Phaser is good, The wah wah. so, so. and the ring tone I don't know what can I do with. I can emulate the sounds of different groups, like Pearl Jam, Placebo, Zeppelin, Hendrix and Santana Guitar very good, also some U2 songs, Grunge songs. Others I can't. I use a Fender champ 30W and a Fender Stratocaster with the Zoom.

I play alternative music and I'm happy with the Zoom but I know there are better effects pedals. I owned a Danelectro Overdrive but I don't use it anymore because the Zoom Overdrive is better. I've been playing for a year and 2 months and I have 4 months with the Zoom. I love the time effects and some distortions, I hate other distortions like rhythm and Bg. The acoustic effect it not very well. It's good to make solos. It's very cheap for the things that this unit can do, and the perfect unit to start to know the effects.

It's easy to use and the materials are good. The problem is the bateries only last 28 hours and I have to change the bateries each 2 weeks. But you can buy an AC adaptor. Sometimes it's difficult to change the patches when you play live but you can buy an optional footswitch.

It's very easy to use, you don't really read the manual, even though the manual is good to understand. Maybe it's not the most appropiate to play live, but it works. It's very easy to make your own sounds, and you can forget the amp's settings with this little thing. I learned to use it the first day I bought.