505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: Arden's Music

I use a JT-300 (Strat Copy) with a 15 watt crate. My stupid amp handles the bass poorly, and I had to customize a lot of patches so the speaker wouldn't rattle the hell out of itself. The clean patches are amazing, with chorus perfectly simulates Metallica and other various bands. But on my amp you have to crank down the bass and put up the treble to get a clear sound. I assume it's my cheap amp and not the pedal's fault. This pedal sounds the best in the tuning C,G,C,G,B,e, or at least in my opinion. The lower sounds help compensate bass since ont h amp you need to turn them way down. One thing, when I first got this I was running it through clean, but I wasn't getting a good distortion sound. So I switched it to distortion, and lowered the gain level to about 4. THe clean stays clean and the distorted sounds way heavier, so I'm happy with it. The effects are good, Overdrive, Lead, Fuzz, Chorus, Flanger are the best, and the wah sucks.

I play nu-metal, and some harder stuff like Metallica. I only found 3 channels on thsi that I really enjoy, the rest are just "there". I really don't care for this pedal, and I'll be more than eager to buy some seperate effect pedals. It's a bitch on batteries, so I paid $50 for the Boss power supply. I love the tuner, it's the best thing in this thing. The noise reduction system, (ZNR), works well. You might want this on the end of an effects line, cause its a good noise gate. It could be better, but hell, for th eprice this is great. I recommend it to beginners, and like I said, it might just be my amp that f--ks the sound.

I wouldn't take this to a gig. It's a serious pain in the ass. Unless you had all your patches perfectly lined up, it wouldn't be worth it. It's durable, the bottom is metal and has rubber stops to prevent it from slipping around. I worry about the power input falling out of the input socket, it's a pretty loose fit. Other than that I trust it. But I still want seperate pedals effects, this didn't solve anything.

The presets were pretty bad, I was disapointed the second I played it. But then I screwed around with the settings and made some patches that are awesome. It's complicated at first, but after you get the feel straight forward. Switching can be a pain. There are 6 banks, each with 6 effects. You can switch each bank at a time, but the button is tiny and hard to hit with your toe. So then you find yourself switching through the patch one by one. You have to end up saving your favorite patches side by side for quick switching between them.