505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: Clinky's

I use either a Fender Strat or a Epiphone Les Paul into a CryBaby, the Zoom and a Marshall Jackhammer. When I practice I use a Fender 30 Watt Champion but when practicing with the band or giging I run through a dinosaur of a Yamaha someone gave me. It gives awesome distortion if you find the right mix. The octave splits sound really bad but we're not all Tom Morello. I wouldn't rely on auto-wahs and using a seperate wah pedal means you can mix the wah with any effect. For the most part, I get all the effects I need.

I play funk to heavy rock. It's suits all the styles I play and overall it's a good pedal. If it were stolen I'd laugh 'cause you could sell it for about a tenner then I'd buy another one. It's been reliable and sounds great.

I've had it for three years and it still works like a charm. It does feel light and plasticy, so I wouldn't jump on it. I've giged with it without a backup and it's done the job. My friend has a 707 2 but mine has been more reliable than the 707.

When I first got it I wasn't too impressed with the effects it came with. But after I read the manual I got the hang of it and started tweaking the effects. I have to put my effects close together though, and I sometimes have to make copies of the effects in diffent banks to make my life easier. It's a hell of a lot easier that way. I'd also suggest creating a blank effect with nothing on it as a clean sound to make switching to multiple effects easier. It also easier than pressing the bypass all the time.