505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: N/A

I am using it currently with a small amp and a Fender Slammer electric, and even though I have a small amp of about 30 cms each way, it still gives a good sound. It can be very loud, and some patches go better with different volume settings. The effects are very good quality, and usually sound great, even when you're playing random chords instead of an actual song. It has roughly 36 patches, and if you fiddle around with the pitch/ distortion and other effects, you can generally obtain the sound of quite a few bands. I've found a patch that could be related to Green Day, but I can't remember any others at the moment.

I play punk, classical and rock generally, and it provides all types of sounds to siut these styles. I have been playing for 6 years and I have an acoustic guitar, a Fender Slammer and my amp, and the box. I also have an electric tuner, but that's all really. If it were stole/lost I would definately buy it again. I really like this little box, it helps alot with my playing, and it even has a tuning facility, which I don't really use. Overall I love the thing.

I think I can pretty much depend on it, but my guitar is going through a funny stage, so I haven't been able to use it for a few days. I would use it ina gig without backup, but I don't know if others would. The only problem I had with it was the tuning facility. It said to tune higher, so I did and I ended up with a broken string.

It is quite easy to get a good sound out of this little box, and I got it for my birthday. I wasn't too keen on it at first, but it hink it's grown on me. I haven't quite got round to fiddling with distortion and editing patches, but from reading the manual it seems like it would be relatively easy. There is also an option for if you want all the edited patches to go back to the way they were when you first bought it. The manual is small, but easy to understand.