505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: Some Italian Music Store...

I use this on my Ibanez and a Fender 25R amp, hooked up to a pedal board with a Crybaby, EQ, distortion, tremolo, and octave. IF all other pedals are turned off it will get a good tone. One problem is the "patch level" is set really high at first, so in bypass mode your guitar might be quiet, but when you choose an effect it gets really loud, so you have to change the patch level to match the volume you want. I dunno if it is just my amp or what, but for me the tremolo effect never seemed to work for me.

I play alternative rock and nu-metal songs and I found this pedal great, even with all my Boss pedals, I still use this to get abnormal effects (cool sounding stuff that Boss can't supply you with).

This is very dependable, you can power it with AA batteries or a power supply, and the batteries last over 28 hours. Also, when the low battery indecator starts blinking, you don't have to worry becuase it probably won't die for another 3 hours of use. The only thing is that it is made out of plastic, so I dunno how good it would be for gigs.

This pedal I bought in Italy over the summer while on vacation. It's nice to get a bunch of different effects for a cheap price, but I prefer the Boss Pedals, because they are a lot more sturdy, and the Boss pedals are easier to change the tones on. This is great for making cool rings and stuff like that (such as noises you'd expect to hear in Powerman 5000's "Tonight The Stars Revolt"). The patches are easy to edit, the only this is if you need to edit them on stage at a gig, it will take a little bit to edit everything and save. Also, you have to make a new patch to use only one effect at a time, so if you wanted a clean delay, you'd need to make a new patch and turn of distortion/tremolo/wah/etc. I dunno if it's in all of them or just because I got mine in Italy, but mine came with a French/Spanish/Italian/Japanese/English Instruction Manual that is easy to understand.