505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: eBay

At practice I very between using a Gibson Voodoo, and a Godin Freeway Classic with a Peavey Rage 158 which gives off amazing sound, really. At shows, I use a 150 watt marshal amp with system controls. Unlike most pedals, this has an amazing noise reduction function which works great if you read the manual and learn how to use it. All effects work great but I would suggest adjusting them to personal preference just because from experience, the pre-sets don't work for most people. I play everything from Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, The Used, Norma Jean, As I Lay Dying and Silverstein. I can easily tweak the distortion (which is what I normally use) based on whatever I need it to be. It takes a few seconds to adjust and sounds great.

I own several other stomp boxes and pedals. Although this is my favourite compact multifx pedal. I don't regret buying it, I collect guitars as well as hardware and this one's extremely reliable with great sound. If you're disapointed, you either don't know how to use it or you're imagining an impossible sound in your head. I wish it came with an AC adaptor, but they're cheap and easy to find so you've got nothing to worry about before buying it. I use rechargeable batteries just in case. Works great for gigs. Unless you're high class and super picky, you won't be disapointed.

Many people would complain about the bettery life. Lesson to every guitar player buying any pedal: if it depends on batteries, get a AC adaptor. I keep batteries in it but I always use the adaptor and rely on the batteries for back-up, which I never need. If you do plan on using batteries all through out using the pedal: get good quality rechargeables. They'll last 4 times as long as normal batteries and you won't complain about the sound. I use this for gigs all the time. I don't know why on earth you'd want to put all your weight on it. The casing is plastic but the base is steel. It will last you, I assure you. You take good care of your guitar, take care of your pedal. I know people Who have been using this pedal for years in gigs and practice, it lasts, trust me.

I got the pedal un-opened and unused, I believe they normally sell around $100CAD. I used to use the Boss Distortion DS-1 stomp box which worked great. The Zoom has equally effective distortion, and it is much easier to adjust to personal preference. Unless you're familiar with using pedals, you may want to read the manual but most people get used to it within a day or two. I also have a Zoom 606 which I barely use because I don't need the wa-wa pedal. If you're into a more jazz/blues playing style, the 06 would be much better off. Other than that, it's great for any style player. The editing patches and manual controls are pretty straight forward. Over all easy use. The built in tuner will save you massive amounts of time.

gibofan01
    i think the distortion is shit and when i link it up with my other pedals i have to put it on tuner to use them, but it hums while the tuner is happening!! good acoustic simulater though ...
    guitar_demon48
    mine crapped out on me around on ly a year of use in my bedroom! it would short out when i plugged it in or if i bumped it...now it doesnt even work at all and i am waiting for a Digitech RP 350 to come in the mail
    SWENCE_32
    I havent had any problems with mine yet, but i hate having to go through each patch to get to a different one. i usually play of C1. and when i want to play acoustic B5, i have to go through the WAH B6 and i get anoing sounds from it. other wise its worth it, but id probly want a boss pedal.
    nodtomc
    Do you know you can move the effect to where you want it? its in the manual
    viginti_tres
    This pedal is amazing. Considering you are critisizing it as an entry level multi-fx processor. I've been playing for almost a year and had the pedal for the majority of that. It has done its job very well. The only reason im considering adding true effects pedals to my rig is because after you play long enough, you need/want more than a multi-fx. But this pedal is amazing, sturdy, dead on tuner, and great for beginners and for adding a "heavier" sound to a weak 10 or 15 watt amp.