505 II review by Zoom

Zoom: 505 II

Purchased from: Star Music Columbia SC

I use a Jackson Rhodes (set bridge) and a Strat as guitars, and a First Act amp (can you tell I'm broke). I have also used a Crate 100w and a Marshall 100w. Good overall sound but some heaver distortion can be a noisy even with the built-in noise reduction. It has by-pass and mute. It has some pretty sweet distortion and flanger F/X. Delay/reverb is pretty good but can get messy. Overall 8 for the sound but for the price, it is excellent. Also great for Kris's UG.TV lesson on whammy bar harmonics. Go Kris!

With metal, it's ok. With punk, it's ok. With blues, it's ok. It doesn't really have a style but is pretty good for most. It has 11 types of distortion (OD, lead, metal, blues) plus an accoustic sim. 9 mods(chorus, flanger, pitch, swell). And 4 delay/reverb settings with 30+ different speeds (delay, echo, hall, and room). It's a pretty flexible setup but not really strong in any one genre. I am looking to get other effects just to make it stronger for metal but provides a good, cheap base for beginning, traveling, or, like me, finding a style to expand on. It's no P.O.D. but it is a very good value for beginners and the experienced Who want to travel small, light, and powerful.

I honestly don't know the durablility, I don't really abuse it. I wouldn't stomp too hard though. It can run on 4AA batteries or 12v adapter (not included). I wouldn't rely on batteries but I also haven't, so I wouldn't know for sure.

Great sound for the price and very simple movement between patches. Editing, saving, and copying patches is fast and very easy. The manual is fairly helpful relatively easy to understand. When I first got it last year, I had about a year of playing experience and no effects experience. No problem. After about 15 minutes, I had already edited my own custom patches and was switching, mid-riff, between them. A simple, to the point F/X.