606 review by Zoom

Zoom: 606

Purchased from: V.L. Music, St. Stephen, N.B.

I play with my Godin SD guitar, which you may not have heard of, but has a very nice sound, and I usually play on my Marshall Valvestate VS65R 150 watt amp. It can get very noisy using high levels of gain, but I dont usually, so there is not too much of a problem. The effects are fairly strong, with the exception if the Wah, which is very weak. I think I might get a Crybaby or a Dimebag pedal. The sound is very similar to when I play on my Kustom 40 watt amp, but it's not as clear. I play alot of Metallica, and I have some trouble getting the sound of the wah that KIrk Hammet plays, but I can get very nice clean and distorted sounds. I also like to play Nirvana, so I can really test how far the sounds will go. I like to play some more heavy music as well, such as System of a Down, and the pedal sounds quite good. I like the Chorus, Flanger, Phaser, Delay/Reverb and other effects. I just feel that the Wah is insufficient. I also liked the Pedal Pitch control.

I like to play metal, and the Zoom 06 is a good match for it, I have been playing for 3 years or so and I own a 40 watt Kustom amp, a 150 watt Marshall Valvestate, a Godin SD Model electric guitar, an Ibanez GRX-40 electric guitar, and two acoustic guitars, an Aria and a Songbird. I wished I had played it a little more before I bought it, especially the Wah. I love how easy it is and how many effects it has. It's like having every effect, only each one is a little bit less than perfect, rather than having a pedal designed for one (perfect)effect. I hate the Wah and the adapter, and that's it. I didn't really compare this pedal to any other ones, mainly because I didn't have much to choose from. I wish it had better Wah, and I wish it didn't make so much noise at high gain levels.

I would say that I might be able to depend on it to play live, but I dont play live, so I wouldn't know. When I am playing around or putting on a "show" for a girl(more like show-off), it works fairly well. The one thing I hate is the adapter, it is cheap and works very poorly, so I would never use that in a gig, I would rather pay a sh*t load of money for AA batterys. I haven't dropped it(hard) yet but it is still all in one piece, with the exception of that crappy adapter.

The Zoom 06 is fairly easy to figure out, considering it was my first pedal. The instruction manual is explained awkwardly but it easy after you get used to the words. Editing patches is simple now, it only takes a few minutes.