606 review by Zoom

Zoom: 606

Purchased from: Billy Hyde Music

The sound through the 06 is good, the distortion effects are nice and tight and the modulation effects are useful and versatile and come through really well in the studio. The Zoom however doesn't have a straight through clean effect, it always colours your sound. The best remedy for this is to Pick a patch you don't use and wipe it clean of all effects. Even then, the "fdr clean" setting still adds a Zoom touch to your sound so that's kind of annoying.

This pedal will have a sound for everyone, garunteed, no matter what style you play. I've been playing for 7 years and have used Korg and Boss Multi FX units but if you can't afford those more expensive machines this one does the job very well and you don't pay top-dollar for it. If lost or stolen I'd probably opt for a Korg unit to replace it simply because I can affor it these days. But if I didn't have that sort of money I'd definately opt for the 06 again. The only gripe I have with it is the plastic construction, I have a heavy foot (and heavy boots) and I don't use this live simply out of fear it'll get busted. But overall, a great little Multi FX.

Have used it live, not again though. Simply too hard to group all your desired effects together in an order that allows for easy switching. I prefer just to use my DS7 stompbox with a wah pedal for solos. Simplicity in effects is the key to playing live and the Zoom just doesn't let you jump around quickly enough. Also the plastic construction means that you tend to be a bit tentative with it, I'd never give this thing a good stomp, not even close, more of a tap. It just doesn't seem sturdy enough for regular live use and would never stand up to life on the road. But it's perfect for studio use if you're recording on a budget like me.

A little fiddly at first, but with a quick flick through the manual and a bit of trial and error it soon becomes very very simple to start whipping up your own patches. The preset patches (all 42 of them) are all reasonable, with a few being perfect just as they are, but some of them are just a foundation and are begging to be improved by you. The modulation effects are fun and the distortion effects are tight and solid as a rock. But any changes you want to make are easily done, just twist a knob, push a button or two and bang, new sound.