606 review by Zoom

Zoom: 606

Purchased from: ZZ Sounds

I play with a Fender standard 97' stratocaster, the '06 and a Line 6 Spider II 30 (which I must change soon), it's all plugged with planet waves' gold tipped cables. As long as your Zoom Noise Reduction is on you won't get any noise out of your amp, but there are certain patches like the Corn and Heavy 7st guitar which are noisy by nature. The effects sound really nice, although, the high levels of delay get a little bit weird when you put too much volume and mix it with the Slow attack effect. This comes with preset patches for Jimi Page's hard rock, Clapton's blues, Beck's octave, Rhoads' Metal Drive, Vai's Whammy and Korn's industrial really heavy sound, of course you also get Hendrix wah wich btw I prefer to substitute with the cool wah patch with fuzz, in my opinion sounds better. Other sound's I've been able to get with the SFX patches are those really amazing weird sounds and textures from Pink Floyd's songs, really nice. The Chorus and Pitch shift effects have a lot of options, wich makes them really easy to tweak, and each of the effects has a lot of intensity levels to make your changes big or small. The Expression pedal could be softer, midrange expression is difficult to get at first, but after a few tries I managed to learn it.

I mainly play hard bluesy rock like ACDC and Zeppelin, but this pedal matches anything you might want to play. I've been playing for about 3 years and I have been acquiring new gear lately, I must say that this is a nice thing to play around with. I should have asked if the expression pedal was good enough, I thought it would be a lot softer, but it seems that it likes to stay either down or up, middle range is difficult to get. If it was stolen lost I would get the Zoom G2.1U wich is kinda like this but with better tone and more effect control. I really like the pitch shifts that I can get with the expression pedal, although a spring would make vibrato easier.

I thought it would be less sturdy, but since it has a metal plate underneath I think it has enough strenght to get some serious stomps, I don't really jump on it too much, I would just love it to have a spring under the expression pedal because it would be a lot easier to use, might mod it one of this days. I would use it on a gig without backup without any fear.

Getting good sounds isn't too hard. The patches are good enough to play without tweaking, it has many preset ones that suit a lot of styles, but with a couple of changes to a patch with the help of the manual you can get a lot of cool things. The manual explains all of the basic things with pictures and explains how to change every effect easily and what each kind of effect does, a very useful guide if you will be tweaking them.