606 review by Zoom

Zoom: 606

Purchased from: local music store

These days I'm using the unit with my Epiphone G-400 (also terriffic value for money), Boss DD-6, DS-1, FZ-2 Hyper Fuzz, running through a Peavey Rage 158 practice amp. My tastes range anywhere from delta blues to classic rock to metal and this unit covers all these surprisingly well. The 12 Drive options, when combined with the intuitive EQ and Contour functions provide hours and hours of superb sounds, no problems there. The effects modules are also outstanding, with phase shifting, chorus, flange, octave, ring mod, wah/auto wah, and plenty of other capabilitites. The one (albeit minor) qualm I do have in this area is the acoustic model, which quite frankly sucks. But Who uses that anyway huh? besides if it was acoustic modelling you're after you probably wouldn't exactly be looking at a Zoom multi.

As I said before, the 06 effectively covers virtually any guitar tone you can imagine. I really can't stress how versatile this unit is in this regard. For any Pearl Jam fans out there, the basic Overdrive function sounds as if youve just bought Mike's entire rig of ridiculously rare Vintage amps and effects etc. I was blown away by the quality of the different drive options. In conjunction with my FZ2's gain boost function, the 06 will wail for hours on end. I've been playing with this unit for about 3/4 years now and I'm still surprised at the sheer quality of the tones it provides. If it were stolen or lost, I think I'd be fairly pissed off; but all in all I don't think I'd buy another one, only because I don't really need it. I just love this thing to death.

This is where the 06 is a little dissapointing. The plastic case is pretty flimsy and the expression pedal particularly cannot stand much of a beating. But hey, you pay for what you get. I wouldn't recommend the 06 for a gig without a backup, it's simply just not strong enough. Reliability wise, the unit is fine, not once has it simply broken down or stopped working on me despite it's obvious weakness. I've had a couple of instances where some of the screws have come loose and floated around inside the unit but this is easily fixed.

The 06 is a perfect little multi FX package for anyone really, beginners especially. Patches are extremely easy to edit and there's plenty of fun to be had with the amount of modulation, distortion, and delay effects aswell as a number of so-so amp models. I got this unit for my birthday years ago when I was just starting out and it really could not have been any easier to get some incredible sounds out of it. The simple interface of the 06 is, in a word, perfect with both switching and editing patches easily accessible.