707 II Guitar review by Zoom

• Reviewer's score: 4.8 Poor
Zoom: 707 II Guitar

Purchased from: Ardens Music

I'm playing through a cheap Ibanez GRX20 and little Crate GT-15. I can get some decent sounds with certain distortions, and the Flange/Chorus and delay are all really good. But I hate the wah, it's extremely weak. Plus it's hard to get a good bluesy sound. Maybe I haven't tried hard enough. I can get a good Dimebag sound on it, nice chunky lows and good high end for harmonics.. I can also get pretty close to Steve Vai's tone, but anything with wah sounds really bad. Overall, for the amount of effects on there, it's decent.

I play mostly metal/blues/classic rock stuff, such as Iron Maiden, Pantera, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top, Pink Floyd, that kind of thing, and it has a good metal tone, but I can't use it for lighter distortions, it sounds like crap. I've been playing for about two years now, and I also own a Danelectro auto-wah, which I seriously think has a better wah tone, other than the fact that it's auto.. If it were stolen/lost, I'd probably buy a DigiTech Hot Head Distortion, a Cry Baby Wah, because that's pretty much all I used this pedal for, distortion and wah, and those two pedals do the job so much better, for the same price practically. I love being able to edit the effects, but I hate the sound of most of the effects. When I was buying the pedal, I didn't know much about effects, and I hadn't tried many out, now I'm wishing I had.

I've had a few trouble with the patch cord in/out, and a little bit with the adapter power supply. Other than that, nothing. I wouldn't use it for a gig, because it doesn't sound good enough.

It's not very easy to get a good sound out of it, at least not from factory defaults. You really have to screw around with it to get a nice tone, but some of the effects are really good once you tweak it. The manual is complete crap, I read it twice, and it just confused me more. But once I got the hang of it, everything is easy to use. But that was after being completely confused about how to use it for about 3 weeks.