707 II Guitar review by Zoom

Zoom: 707 II Guitar

Purchased from: Lee's Music

I am using a Peavey V-type guitar on a Peavey 212 Bandit Amp. It sounds really good using that set up. It really does work good with almost any amp as it is very compatible. There are enough settings to melt your face off and even if you can find one you want there are 50 setting that you can edit without ever screwing up the original settings. Most of the effects are strong but they can be tuned so much that you can really have any pitch or tone or frequency or whatever you want. The pitch setting is a little bit strange because you can chose to go two octaves up or two octaves down. The only way to get a setting that is just one octave down (a bass effect) you must use a two pitched setting so it sounds just like a guitar that's playing synchronized to the bass. Also, you can't use any effects when you're recording a loop. You can only use the basic tone of the setting. But overall this pedal is very versatile and can change to almost any effect you want.

I play all type of music from blazing Death Metal to sophisticated Avant Garde Jazz to Country chicken pickin' to straight up Niel Young chord strumming camp-fire songs. Any style you play this effects pedal will satisfy you're needs. I only wish that I could have asked how long the loop recording time was so I wasn't so shocked to find how short it recorded for. But other than that I have no regrets buying this system. If this pedal was lost or stolen I would probably replace it with a newer model only because this one is out of date but if you were to compare this pedal to a DigiTech or a Fender pedal this one would come out on top. I do wish it had a stereo head phones hook-up because when you put head phone right into the pedal you only get one ear so I usually run it though an amp first and then plug the headphones into the amp.

This is where the Zoom 707 shows it's weak spot. This pedal is not very durable. it accumulates dust and grime really quickly and many of the buttons can become easily jammed. If I were to do a gig I would definitely get it checked and serviced before preforming.

The use of this thing is fairly simple. it only took me a week or so to figure everything out. The sampler works well but it only records like a 6 second riff but you can loop it. The battery usage is easy to use and find but it sucks power fast. You can edit and name different settings and use the pedal for a bunch of different things (wah, pitch, gain, reverb and volume control etc.) I wouldn't Recommend using batteries for this unless they're rechargeable. I never read the manual but I really didn't need to as it was so easy to figure out.