707 II Guitar review by Zoom

Zoom: 707 II Guitar

Price paid: C$ 50

Purchased from: Kijiji (Used)

The majority of the time, this pedal delivered a pretty solid sound. I usually have this going with a Fender Stratocaster and either a Marshall or a Fender amp, which are all pretty beat-up, so it delivered good under the circumstances. Some effects settings I did find a bit "iffy". A couple of the heavy distortion effects didn't really come out that well, and they had a lot of feedback and some weird static-type noises sometimes (although the culprit might be my old amp!) Most of the time the effects came out pretty strong, but once again, some were so-so. It's mainly the Wah effects that could be better, they were rather weak. So, the sound is rather reasonable. As I mentioned above, the main things to work on would be the distortion and the wah.

I play almost every style of music, so I can tell you that this pedal is very diverse in that sense. It also has some interesting features like a built-in drum machine, as well as capability to record your playing. (It doesn't record for very long, only about 8 seconds, unless you have a SmartMedia memory card, in which case in can record something along the lines of 8 minutes.) I did buy it when I was a beginner musician, so now I am looking towards a new pedal of the same sort, just higher quality. I recommend it as an inexpensive beginner pedal, but if you're already an accomplished musician, it's worth the money to buy a higher-grade pedal.

This pedal, overall, is fairly reliable. It's good for a bar-type gig, a small local music festival, or anything of that sort. It's quite dependable live, as long as you don't push it too hard. I use it when I play with my band, and it rarely fails me. Overall, I could trust this in a small gig situation.

I found it really easy to get a good sound of this pedal. I bought it when I knew very little about the guitar or music or any of that stuff, and was quickly able to find a tone I liked. Editing patches was not what I would call difficult, although it was harder than simply just "finding" an enjoyable tone, as you probably expect. You kind of have to "get to know" the pedal first though, so that you fully understand the controls. Pretty simplistic controls for editing, I was able to create the custom "crunch" I wanted in about five or ten minutes. Overall, it is a fairly easy pedal to use. I would recommend it for as a kind of "my first" pedal.